Gear selector seized up.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbb

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Dirtmax with a 160 yx engine that is about 6 tanks old. On Saturday I took it for a ride and it was perfectly fine. Then got on it Sunday I had it in neutral, started it up and heard a bit of a metallic clanging sound. The bike stalled and I started it again, but I couldn't get it into first gear. I pulled up on the gear selector with my hand and could only just get it into first, but it's really stiff - I can't change gears with my foot at all and it won't go up further than first gear. To get it back down into neutral I had to kick it pretty hard too.

The clutch seems to be fine and I have adjusted it in and out with the same problem. Would this be caused by a bent gear selector?

Since I got my bike it was always a bit temperamental with first gear and sometimes needed a bit of encouragement to get into neutral. It also drops 2 gears occasionally when going down from third (and goes into first - argh!). I'm thinking that the gear selector was bent from the get go and is now much worse. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mate i'd be getting onto Dirtmax pretty quick smart, as it sounds like you have a dud gearbox... issues like that on such a new bike, usually mean impending failure is imminent...

Haha thanks mate. I would be straight onto Dirtmax but my bike was bought privately and not from a shop...grrrrrr.

mate i'd be getting onto Dirtmax pretty quick smart, as it sounds like you have a dud gearbox... issues like that on such a new bike, usually mean impending failure is imminent...

time to pull it down...

how old is the bike/engine..
do you know if it has the updates center case...

could have a broken case on the counter shaft causing the gears not to mess and throwing the selector alignment out...
but you wont know unless you pull it apart...

another thing to check is there should be a rubber bung above the front srocket. remove the bung and check the bolt in there is tight..

Thanks Sean!

The bike is an 09 model and has been ridden lightly for about 2 months / 6 tanks of fuel. Not sure if it's got the updated centre case.

I will start pulling the thing apart this afternoon and look for anything that is out of place. I'm not the best mechanically but I'll check that bung above the front sprocket too.

i had the problem to but it was just my gear shifter try loosin it a bit pul it out a couple mm.

Thanks for the help. Well I pulled the bike out today and in the light of day I found a huge crack in the crank casing and subsequent crack in the outer casing too - f&%k! I've attached a pic for reference.

case.jpg

The bike is only just run in and hasn't been ridden hard at all. I'm going to see if I can get onto the person I bought it off to see if I can contact Dirtmax about this in regards to warranty but I don't like my chances. I still haven't pulled the outer casing off just yet but I'm guessing that something busted inside to break the case like that.

What do you guys think? I know you can't really see the extent of the damage without pulling it apart but it looks like it's going to be an expensive fix.

Dang. split where yoru shift barrel area is in that center case.

Probably a combo of bad luck, possibly already stressed from shipping, or your kickstarting it wrong.

Mate, thats bad luck big time, probably wasting your time with fixing it. I'd get onto DHZ and get a price for a 155z donk, my 155 has been as tough as guts and the power is awesome, or you can always downgrade to a 150 or 140(still great engines) if $ are a prob.

look at my sig *hint hint*

otherwise yea that engines buggered either sell it as a lump for spare parts or strip it down and sell the bits individually

yep, as i thought...
dam shame dirtmax choose to use the outdated engines. i have a 160 dirtmax engine here with exact same problem.

mate if your looking for some coin to put towards a new engine(if thts the path you take) pm me some details and ill take it off your hands...
also let us know what location your in.

also another thing.. you state its been a b*tch to get into gears since you bought it, chances are tht this problem was already there but it has got worse from kick starting it.. probly started as an internal crack then progressed to what it is now...

Cheers for the help guys I appreciate it. The bike was never super hard to get into gear, it just occasionally needed a bit of persuasion to get into neutral.

I was thinking of either selling the bike complete as I'm wanting to get a cr125 and don't have the time to fix this baby up. I may separate the engine if you're interested Sean? The bike is only 6 tanks old, was babied for the first 4 or 5 tanks and I've done 3 oil changes in that time with good shell advance oil.

I'm located in Brisbane. I might take some good photos and put it in the for sale section and try my luck.

hey Robb get some picks up, with a good quality bike it's usually better to part it out, if you throw up some pics of the bike we should be able help you decide what to do next

Thanks DvDRip - my bike is exactly the same as this one, just with the stickers removed. I will take some photos of my bike in the next few days and put it up for sale then.

aadirtmax150.jpg

Latest posts

Back