gear troubles

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampitpro_138

Reaction score
hey guys,
i have been having a problem with my gears lately. i was up at the glass house mtn's yesterday riding, i was going fine all morning then we loaded up and went to another spot. i started to ride again and my bike just started screwing up, it has been going from n-1-2 fine then when i go to get 3rd i get a neutral and then i can go to 4th but then its all messed up on the way back down. sometimes i get a false neutral in other gears to. i havent really looked inside the bike as i dont no what i am looking for. i checked the oil level it defiantly needs topping up but that wouldnt cause this would it?
any feedback is greatly appreciated
cheers sam

hey sam mine does the same thing. first to second and i can get third usually but then forth it goes into a neutral but you can hear the gears grinding and then it like cluncks really hard and goes to forth. apparently it means your stripping your gears but i dunno.
sorry i dont know what to do but i thought id just show that your not the only one with the problem.
Matty.

sam have you tried ajusting the clutch cable to lenth'n it. If you've done the cable other option is adjusting screw on inside of the caseing

DrDan can you elaborate on this a bit more which side is this adjusting screw- the clutch side or gear side? Cheers

mine freakin goes into false neutrals only sometimes pisses me off. i was going to do internal mods but now that i heard this i dont think its worth it is it?

OK guys,

Heres my findings on this subject !!

My Jailing did this in second and it ended up taking a tooth off one of the second gear cogs !!

I replaced my entire gear clusters including all cogs, both lay and output shafts, all thrust washers the lot ! with brand new jailing parts !!

I rebuilt the motor thinking, SWEET ! THIS IS GOING TO BE "LIKE" NEW !!!

And guess what !!! It still had false neutrals when I shifted into second !! :( :confused: sometimes it would half select then pop out
once the clutch was all the way out and other times it would just make a clicking sound but would never fully
in gauge the gear !! :mad:

I had a good think about the hole setup and thought, Well the only thing I haven't replaced is the selector drum and forks !!!

So I got a new selector and fork setup and pulled my motor down again..

Once I had the motor stripped I had a good look at the forks and noticed that one of them had a lot of ware !! :rolleyes: I then installed the
new selector and fork setup and now my motor, Is "like" new again !!!! ( I can post a pic of the fork if anyone needs it !!!)

So yeah guys, I think if your having problems with your gears not selecting properly then replace you selector forks !! I almost
guarantee it will fit it !! and do it as soon as you notice it neutralizing and it will save your gears so you will only need the drum and
forks (you only need the drum as most sellers wont sell you just the forks !!!

Hope this helps !!!

L8R

Excellent! This sounds exactly like what mines doing. Thanks for the good info there PB.

Do you know if the jialing parts will fit a Lifan 138 and is your gearbox all up shift?

Cheers

Where the hell did you get the parts?? When I was getting my enigne fixed they offered to order new parts from china but it would cost as much as a new engine so I just baught a new engine.

I broke the selector on mine and damaged second gear. And its the second time Ive done it!

thats what i thought from the start motovert would stock engines parts.

No one stocks engine parts, lifan just makes parts for the engines and dont make ANY spares.

Crazzy #1 may be on to something there !!

@ Kourt
No probs buddy !! Um, I'm not to sure if jailing parts will fit your motor. Most motors I've worked on look very similar but do have slight differences !! but Jailing and Lifan are probably the closest

@ Flarry
All my parts were purchased from my local bike shop in Bathurst called Great Western Motor cycles but they are a Motovert dealer !!

The bike shop ordered my parts from MOJO in Melb and yes all the parts were in stock and MOJO do stock spare parts for Jailing motors !!! All my parts came in separate part number labeled boxes !!!

As long as you haven't damaged anything and just the selector forks are worn out then it isn't to much to fix.. Just a gasket kit, the drum with forks and a few hours to rebuild it !! There not hard at all to rebuild, very easy !!!

But if you have to replace gears and stuff as well like I did, Then it can get pricey !! it cost me just under $350 to do mine so if ya have a Lifan I would just buy a new motor, you can get a 140cc with cooler for that !! but as a Jailing motor is $550 + PH from MOJO and there was nothing else wrong with my motor, And I had already replaced my gears I thought bugger it !!..

You can get Jailing motors on ebay sometimes for $350 but I'm not 100% sure there genuine Jailing motors as they have the labeling ground off the side covers !! so who knows !!!

L8R

Last edited:
Riding with your foot touching or pressing on the shift lever can cause the shift forks to wear prematurely . Shift gears .... then let the lever return completely to it's own centre with your foot clean away from it . If you ever drop your bike and bend the shift lever up or even let it cop a hard hit - don't simply straighten it up and think you've gotten away without causing internal damage . Remove the clutch cover and check that the shift shaft still moves freely without binding and that the shift drum is completely returning to the centre of the shift star in each gear . When the shift lever cops a hard hit from a stack , the shift forks can easily be bent ....... then they'll rub constantly and wear out quickly ....... At the FIRST sign of shift problems ....... stop the bike and tear it down to inspect everything for precise alignment . IF the shift shaft and drum are functioning properly but there are still shifting problems or jumping out of gear ... then you've got damaged shift forks and continuing to ride with the problem will result in busted gears or even shattered engine cases ......... :)

hey sam where do u live and are the glasshouse tracks any good?

Latest posts

Back