Gears N 1.2.3.4 UP or N 1 Down 2 3 4 UP ??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russbream

User
Reaction score
What is everyones thoughts on gear setup?

N 1,2,3,4 UP

OR

N 1 DOWN 2,3,4 UP

Last edited:
from what ive heard the z155 only come's in all up N,1,2,3,4 unless your changing the shift drum??? or its a different "VERSION" of the z155

Last edited:
Nope. I had the Zonger 140 and the gearing was 1-N-2-3-4:
- moto engines3
- Pit Bike 140cc Racing Engine - dirt bike engine, dirt bike's engine, racing engine

It doesn't say that the gearing is 1-N-2-3-4 but it is. The second link on the sprokect cover that sticker says the gearing pattern.

I like the international gearing ( 1-N-2-3-4 ). Makes me feel good like I was riding a big bike because of the big bike gearing. If you do go the N-1-2-3-4 gearing don't make it rotary... It's ****.

I'm not sure if the Z155 comes with international gearing. Most pitbikes run the N-1-2-3-4 gearing pattern. If you can get the international gearing get it.

Last edited:
yeah i'd say stick with n-1-2-3-4
will save on issues with false neutrals between gears, less warrantee issues with bad selectors, and selectors star failure cause of squid riders banging gears and then not being able to find neutral with the engine running...

yeah i'd say stick with n-1-2-3-4
will save on issues with false neutrals between gears, less warrantee issues with bad selectors, and selectors star failure cause of squid riders banging gears and then not being able to find neutral with the engine running...

Agreed Thump:cool:

the bad thing about 1-n-2-3-4 gear setup is that going from first to second you might get a false neutral but once your in second you don't need to go back to first and thump*140 its easier to find neutral with the engine going in my opinion

and this guy said he was going to get hes shipment before february...

im glad i bought the pitster otherwise i would still be wondering what was going on

the bad thing about 1-n-2-3-4 gear setup is that going from first to second you might get a false neutral but once your in second you don't need to go back to first and thump*140 its easier to find neutral with the engine going in my opinion

mate have you ridden a 1-n-2-3-4 pitbike?? they are an absolute **** to find neutral in, running or not, and create more false neutrals than n-1-2-3-4 bikes...
and from a mechanical/business point of view, i doubt a 1-n-2-3-4 box would fare well in an engine the size and power of a 155z... you'd do the selectors between 1st, neutral and second in no time...

Our Loncin 120 is 1d3up and my son kept hitting neutral on the 1-2 shift ... He'd scream the engine then bang it into second without using the clutch ... He only got to do it a few times ... I never let him ride it after that ...

The Motovert guys told me that they had heaps of problems when they sold bikes with 1d3up tranny's ... they said all 4 up is far more reliable ...

thump*140 you are stubborn you really need to learn to accept other peoples opinions if the 1-n-2-3-4 gearbox is so bad why do lots of big bikes use them eg Yamaha's yz and you don't get many false neutrals if run in properly

mate there is a big difference between being stubborn, and having experience, and knowing what works, and what doesnt...
Now if you had said your preference was based on personal preference i'd have said no probs.. you based it on a mechanical standpoint as well, in which case i chose to voice my opinion..
If you have a look above your own post, Cactus, who is vastly more experienced than anyone on here in regards to minis, stated quite clearly a couple of different references where the 1d 3 up gearbox are nothing but trouble... and the bigger capacity you go, the worse they get...
i understand what you initially tried to get at, i myself would prefer a 1-n-2-3-4 gear box pattern, but the truth of the matter is, in a china engine, they are just pure ****.
Japanese boxes are far more bulletproof, due to the quality, componentry, size, gear box size Versus engine capacity etc etc... keep in mind, mini engines have equal technology to most tractors built in the 1920's...they're boat anchors, not sequential F1 boxes, and they work fine the way they are.. except for the 1-n-2-3-4 boxes, which are problematic...

mate there is a big difference between being stubborn, and having experience, and knowing what works, and what doesnt...
Now if you had said your preference was based on personal preference i'd have said no probs.. you based it on a mechanical standpoint as well, in which case i chose to voice my opinion..
If you have a look above your own post, Cactus, who is vastly more experienced than anyone on here in regards to minis, stated quite clearly a couple of different references where the 1d 3 up gearbox are nothing but trouble... and the bigger capacity you go, the worse they get...
i understand what you initially tried to get at, i myself would prefer a 1-n-2-3-4 gear box pattern, but the truth of the matter is, in a china engine, they are just pure ****.
Japanese boxes are far more bulletproof, due to the quality, componentry, size, gear box size Versus engine capacity etc etc... keep in mind, mini engines have equal technology to most tractors built in the 1920's...they're boat anchors, not sequential F1 boxes, and they work fine the way they are.. except for the 1-n-2-3-4 boxes, which are problematic...

Well said!
I'like having the all up gear box escpically with the crap quility I can nly imagine how much of a pain in the a$$ 1d3up trannies would be.

again it comes down to the quality of the bike the name of this thread is not china bike trannys i will give you that all up bike are good if not better than 1 down 3 up but don't say they all dont work just the ones in chinas you make some good points but they arnt all bad just some arnt made to a high quality

i love my 1 down 3 up gearbox. hardly get a false neutral. i think its got a little bit to do with how you change and ride also

again it comes down to the quality of the bike the name of this thread is not china bike trannys i will give you that all up bike are good if not better than 1 down 3 up but don't say they all dont work just the ones in chinas you make some good points but they arnt all bad just some arnt made to a high quality

Byh0005 this thread was started by a gentleman who is building/introducing a new style of pitbike...
he was asking what people preferred, and which was better, to gain some idea of which is the better gear pattern to build into his bike...
so yeah, he he, this thread is purely about china bike gearbox patterns... ;)

at no stage did i say all 1d 3up gearboxes never work, i said they dont work as well as all up transmissions, and for the purpose of this thread, the motor the said gentleman is intending to use, will obliterate the selectors, shift star and 1st and 2nd on a 1d 3up box...

my old pitty (50cc china) had all down gears :D

yeah barnsey my brothers 110 has all gears down also, and just keeps going, you can find neutral by going back down the gears or by going up(n1234n), must be bloody old skool, theres plenty of brand new pittys still coming from china with the 1n234 boxes, must be old stock im thinking, go with all gears up mate, but if not just ride the bastard and have some fun, the **** will break anyway if you dont give it a full service and history check after every ride, if it aint broke, BREAK it.:D

thump*140 you are stubborn you really need to learn to accept other peoples opinions if the 1-n-2-3-4 gearbox is so bad why do lots of big bikes use them eg Yamaha's yz and you don't get many false neutrals if run in properly

Thump stubborn ????

You are wrong about this byh0005 ...... READ what Thump has posted and you'll see you are the one being stubborn ...stupidly so.;)

We were never talking about big bike gear boxes.... but yeah we explained that to you as well and you wouldn't listen anyway.

Cactus and Thump have forgotten more about pitbikes than you'll ever know ... in all the years I've been here cactus has NEVER been wrong .....not once ....ask anyone.Thump is no slouch either he can build these things with his eyes shut so yeah they are right you are wrong .... end of story .

Again this thread has NOTHING to do with big bike gearboxes ..... after all we are a pitbike site .... so if someone is talking about big bikes they let you know ... if they don't mention big bikes chances are it got nothing to do with the thread ..... makes sense huh ?

So yeah byh0005 suprise me and own it :cool:

Latest posts

Back