Ghost rev without choke?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unit_mx

Reaction score
I recently bought a new motor for my crf50 , she's an 88 mod - kitaco SE ultra head on a 88cc taky barrel.

The carb I currently have on is a mikuni VM22 22mm carb , which looks too be almost of a 2 stroke , looking at it.

Anyhow I've been having a few issue's with getting it running correctly. Basically she starts first kick cold or warm , so no starting issues but seems to only run half decent with the choke on. Throttle cracks quite good , not too much hesitation but seems to lack a little in power? But before you jump in and say its running too lean , As soon as I wack the choke of the bike begins to build revs and continue to rev its tits off. Even when the throttle is cracked it returns to reving past the moon.

I've pulled down my carb , soaked it in turps. Ran wire through the jets and cleaned the whole thing out. Still nothing , just revs to the moon once that choke is off. I tried riding it like so and it just cuts out or hesitates. I've checked the throttle cable , its fine. The pipe on the old bike was 32mm and I run a 28mm ID pipe if it makes a difference and a uni pod filter

Would anyone be able to please point me in the right direction as to what may be the issue?
I've checked for leaks , resealed bowl with silicon .....
No exhaust leaks

Its not a 'reversed choke either'. It doesnt start cold without it being on the choke

Cheers
Louis

leave the carby in the bike and take off ya air filter just to see how much the slide is open.... maybe. should only see a 1 - 2mm gap at bottom of slide.

Still nothing.

Slide is returning to correct position but bike keeps on reving.

rebuilt choke mechanism , adjusted floats etc still rev's to the moon...

Thought it was running super lean , plug says otherwise...
Couldnt fix it on its leanest settings...

There doesnt seem to be any air leaks
Please help me , im absolutley stumped.

I had a look at my float pin , seems identical either way just a straight pin with no viariations in it.

God damn want my 88 limmo back! that thing was bulletproof!

Does it still have the same problem with the TB carby? Let us know how it goes once u get round to changing it.

Seems to be an air leak?

Despite silconing up the fuel bowl , intake and greasing up the air filter lip.

Gaskets look good , plastic flange aint warped. I have no idea?

Im quite sure the carb may be ok but there is more to the picture.

Cactus!!!!!!!!!!
Cactus!!!!!!!!!

http://www.big50.com.au/viewer.php?itemid=1158543721&image=74F.jpg

tis my carby , seems like a good carb. Cant find this airleak but???

Its possible its lean on the pilot circuit but rich elsewhere. Reving like that is 99.9% lean on pilot, if your sure theres no air leak then try a size larger pilot and or adjust ur mixture screws.

Latest posts

Back