Going to try the new Hummer G4

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally decided to get my suspension properly set up for my weight (100kgs)

I found a local guy in Perth that can supply heavier spring rates from Showa Shocks - so I'm increasing the rear shock spring rate to 5.4 kgs/mm

Initially I'm trying a bit more fork oil to make the front suspension more progressive - but may also consider heavier fork springs if necessary.

Supplied springs are stock items rather than custom - so cost is managable (although still expensive in relation to the bike purchse price).

For those who find that the Hummer front wheel lifts a little too easily when climbing hills - try lowering the clamps down the forks a tad This will shift the C.O.G. slightly forward. Don't go overboard with the amount of adjustment however - as it does have other effects on the bike's handling.

Well i think i have replaced the last item on the Kuda Pro that i was a little doubtfull of. I went out and sorry i should have said my perfect girlfirend went out and bought me a new set of Renthal bars for my birthday and also a new set of grips for them as well and now she is set for the full 4 day attack at Easter i hope it does well but we will see i guess.

How did you find everything tansfered over to the Renthals? Did you find any hardware to be a loose/tight fit on the new bars?

Everything fitted fine, if i was to tell the trouth i would say that the originals are a copy of the renthals they are exactly the same shape the only thing is the orginial ones are about 5 mm longer on each handle.
But all in all i am very happy with them they look real good.

Took your advice & bought a set Weeg - just as you said, an easy changeover.

Hey Rod
They just look stronger as well don't they?
How did you go with the front fork oil/springs did it make a difference?

Last edited:
Hey Rod/everyone else who has done this,
How do you change the front fork oil to something heavier so they stop bottoming out and making them a bit stiffer?
I weigh 103KGs and i have gathered that 20w oil would probably suit and obviously you put back in what you remove (in mls) (hoping that you don't have leaking seals)
But the question is what are the processes involved in getting this job done? Any pictures would be good as well?

Had a weird one with my bike over the weekend,the hard rubber intake manifold split.
She didn't go to well after that,a china bike shop down here was able to match it for $40 but I just thought it was a strange breakdown.

Hey Rod
They just look stronger as well don't they?
How did you go with the front fork oil/springs did it make a difference?

Hi Weeg,

I run Castrol Fork Oil 5 in mine - and I definately wouldn't go above fork oil 10 - since I think these are Showa forks, which are generally designed to operate with fork oil 5.

The other way to slow things down is to add a little exta fork oil - which (according to the professional dirt bike maintenance video I just bought) is actually preferable to putting in a thicker oil (I listed the video a couple of pages back - and trust me, it's worth buying)

I haven't really bounced it around big time since I added the oil - but so far it has resisted bottoming quite well and is definately a little stiffer.

If the bike still bottoms with hard use, I'll have to try heavier springs - but that gets expensive!

Hey Rod/everyone else who has done this,
How do you change the front fork oil to something heavier so they stop bottoming out and making them a bit stiffer?
I weigh 103KGs and i have gathered that 20w oil would probably suit and obviously you put back in what you remove (in mls) (hoping that you don't have leaking seals)
But the question is what are the processes involved in getting this job done? Any pictures would be good as well?

Hi Weeg,

Cibby Doc put a description in this thread on how to do it a while back - and that's pretty much the same procedure as I use.

If I were you, I'd get rid of the present fork oil and replace it with Castrol fork oil 5.
Measure how much comes out of each fork and put the same back in + about 25 - 30 mls.

I think you'll find that improves things enough. If not - don't go more than + 50mls of fork oil. Beyond that - you need to look at heavier spring rates

Had a weird one with my bike over the weekend,the hard rubber intake manifold split.
She didn't go to well after that,a china bike shop down here was able to match it for $40 but I just thought it was a strange breakdown.

Yeah Wildy - the rubber intake fit's pretty tight and is not made of great quality rubber. With a little rattling around, it can be prone to work hardening and splitting.

If you're fitting a new one - just make sure it's air tight and is not stretched too much across the gap. You can also apply a powder which stops the rubber perishing - I think you can source that from dive shops.

Hey Boy's.

Well I've finished the special course at work....six weeks of hard yakka I tell you....and hopefully next week I'll be back in the saddle.

Sounds like your bikes are going OK.

The spring rate issues seems to have raised its ugly head again. I'm sure that if we add some pre load to the existing ones it would work a treat. Just not sure how to do it as I didnt have that close a look at them when I changed the oil. But it would'nt be too hard. Would just need to add washers to the spring ends to increase the rate, say 10 - 15mm spacing would do it I would think.

That should give you big boys what you need and then I would run 50ml additional oil at a mix of 5 and 7.5 weight.

I reckon 7.5 is too much and 5 is a bit light. 10 is arm jolting and joint wrecking over rough stuff. Alright if your constantly under brakes. But....nah...too stiff.

Well travel safe.....

Cheers Doc

Looks good hopefully it goes well when do you think you will get it?
I might think about one for the girl friend

Latest posts

Back