GPX 125 Clutch cable adjustment problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyboyz

Reaction score
Hi Guys, put in a gpx this weekend and was having trouble with adjusting the clutch. it was always just a lil bit engaged even on the furthest out setting i could do. has any one had a similar problem? right now ive got it set up with only one adjuster nut and a washer but seems a lil sketchy to me also i had to take the locking nut off my clutch lever adjuster also. any tips on how to have this installed correctly would be awesome, here are some pics of how ive set it upphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

i'm not sure why are you using as washer at the clutch/adjuster end?

there are 2x types of clutch cables available, one with 100mm travel and one with 65mm travel
your's is the second type for the crank mounted clutch motors, eg Lifan 125 etc

you can cut back the cables' outer if you are careful, to give it more travel, i did it when i converted my 125 Lifan to a 150 Lifan

with the nut still on that side it would engage the clutch not letting it out all the way even with it wound all the way back so basically the washer is there to stop the cable if that makes sense. so i have the wrong cable? i got the one dhz sold for the 160ho and the gpx125

basically there was not enough cable to let the clutch out properly. so i put the washer there to give me a few more mm of cable. I was just wondering if i had done something wrong as the old clutch cable was doing the same thing bought a new one and the exact same thing. this is the only way i could get the clutch to release all the way.

Could redrill the pin hole on the lever further in if worse came to worst..?

yeah i spoke to dhz and this happens every now and then they suggested cutting 5mm of the adjuster bracket and that sounds pretty good to me as that 5mm is about all i need to have the clutch working great

cutting 5mm off the front of that bracket would only leave about 7mm of bracket to take the weight of the clutch working....

you could redrill the hole in the rear cable mounting bracket on the motor
just drill it 10mm further forward, so the bracket sits 10mm or so further back?

i dont like the idea of just 1 bolt holding it on though, but it must be ok.

Basically you need a longer clutch cable if im right ive had a 125gpx and i sued the previous clutch cable whichc came with the bike and had a yx160cc, hope that helps

i just ordered a yx160 cable off ebay looks a bit longer than what i have. should be here by friday so hopefully that works or back to square one. i'll be surprised if it is the cable though as ive had 2 that are the ones that dhz says are for this engine but i hope it is as thats a easy fix. ill post a update of how i go and what i end up doing this weekend. cheers for the ideas guys

so the yx cable is to big and has way to much play in it. so that sucks so its back to using the one from dhz with just a washer in there instead of the nut. also with the other cables when i was trying to ride it 2nd gear was really clunky and stuttery but has gone away with the dhz cable. what would cause that as the clutch with both cables was being let out all the way

Thats how mine is and mines fine though, just gotta try make it work

i am having.....well had this problem but modified the bracket
im using a yx160 and have 4 cables that are no good to me lol

Latest posts

Back