GPX 125cc Destroyed Sensor Pickup

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHZ

Reaction score
Any ideas on this?

I was riding my bike along and then all of a sudden the engine just dies. After playing with it for a bit looks like there's no spark. So i take off the cover and find that the thing just ate its sensor pickup, there's bits of shredded plastic and copper filling the whole case.

The engine is a GPX 125cc which originally had the two horizontal coil stator which I changed to a vertical coil stator and flywheel to get enough power to run my lights etc. I've still got the pickup from the old stator so I'm going to try a transplant. Will this work or do I need to buy a whole new stator?

Also any idea what caused this and how to stop it happening again? The bolts holding the stator in place were still pretty damn tight, I had to use an impact driver to remove them, so I don't think it came loose. Is it possible the new flywheel is unbalanced?

JHZ

Has the sensor snapped off the flywheel? If so just buy a new one. I got to do thid to my bike.

Whats out lined in black is my sensor and the bit it bolts onto:
15092009004.jpg

Has the sensor snapped off the flywheel? If so just buy a new one. I got to do thid to my bike.

Whats out lined in black is my sensor and the bit it bolts onto:
15092009004.jpg

ouch dude, you have had some bad luck with chains by the look of it...cases all scared up..(unless it the quality of the pic)

but anyways back on track..

yeah i thought it was something like that, i just wasnt sure which setup he had...

i spose youll just have to see if everything bolts on to the new stator plate(if thats what you mean)

as for reason it happened.
the usual cause is from the chain coming off and smashing it off... or maybe even a past time when the chain come off and fractured it then finally decided to fall off.

another reason could be bad main bearings allowing the crank to run out of round and the little pickup on the magneto hit the sensor pickup good and proper...
(tho youd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen, i personally have never seen it but theres a first time for everything)
to check the bearings, grab the magneto and see if theres any play up and down or side to side...NOT in and out..

still seems strange tho..lol

lol. them chains can do nice work....

i got a mate that must have gone thru close to 10 stators just because he was too stupid to replace the chain and all the guides..

told him a million times....now i just say have a nice push home....

Okay so the engine had this stator and magneto originally
STATOR-MAGNETO-1.jpg

Which I changed to this one because I needed more power for my accessories
STATOR-MAGNETO-140150160-1.jpg

However the engine just ate this one so I pulled the pickup off the original one and put it on. I only managed to fit one screw because the brackets are slightly different and also because the other eyelet has smashed off the stator plate, so I don't know how long it will last, but it's working for now.

I think the chain definitely did it in because the magneto doesn't seem to have any give. Any ideas why it happened or how to stop it happening again?

Also does anyone have a spare stator plate and pickup that they want to get rid off? :p

Last edited:
Any ideas on this?

I was riding my bike along and then all of a sudden the engine just dies. After playing with it for a bit looks like there's no spark. So i take off the cover and find that the thing just ate its sensor pickup, there's bits of shredded plastic and copper filling the whole case.

The engine is a GPX 125cc which originally had the two horizontal coil stator which I changed to a vertical coil stator and flywheel to get enough power to run my lights etc. I've still got the pickup from the old stator so I'm going to try a transplant. Will this work or do I need to buy a whole new stator?

Also any idea what caused this and how to stop it happening again? The bolts holding the stator in place were still pretty damn tight, I had to use an impact driver to remove them, so I don't think it came loose. Is it possible the new flywheel is unbalanced?

JHZ

My chain totalled my sensor pickup and they eyelets on the stator plate that hold it on so I'm after the plate and pickup. The coils are fine, so I don't need them. Anyone have one kicking around that they want to get rid of?

I'm looking for the plate that holds the ring of vertical coils, not the two horizontal ones.

why did you make out in the first place that you didnt know how the pickup snapped off..when it was clear you knew exactly how.....not cool:mad:

anyways.
if your chain has come off and done that must damage then id say your chain is rooted.
and at a guess im gona say you have no chain guides on your swing arm..

replace your chain and all the guides including the one at the front of the swingarm...some have the rubber boot type and some have the flat nylon type.
if they are worn and your chain is rubbing on the swingarm then the new chain is going to be rooted in a matter of hours...
also keep your chain properly tensioned....i usually adjust them with the rider sitting on the bike.
and dont buy a cheap chain. youll be back to square one in no time

and so it doesnt kill your stator again id be replacing it with a outer rotor setup....
it has the pickup at the front...(not sure if there compatible with lights)

why did you make out in the first place that you didnt know how the pickup snapped off..when it was clear you knew exactly how.....not cool

Actually i'm still not sure it was the chain because the chain wasn't off the sprocket or anything so either it suddenly jumped a tooth and smashed the sensor in the process or it must be something else. :confused:

I can't run an ORK without doing some serious modifications to my electrical setup which I'd rather not get into atm, but I might consider it if this keeps happening.

that stator/flywheel isn't made for your bike, it's for 140 and up, the old one you had is for 110, 125, 138.
so watch out it cause a lot of problems

It's a Sachs MadAss frame so it uses the following three-phase stator setup.

oem_wire.jpg

It's pretty different from the regular pit-bike setup so it's going to be a b**ch to change.

It's a Sachs Madass Frame, so it uses a three-phase setup shown below.
oem_wire.jpg

Its way different from the regular setup so it's going to be a b***h to change over

yeah best bet would be ebay, unless you have a shop local to you that you may be able to get a secondhand one from...

bit hard to say which shop or which ebay seller as your location is unknown...

If you change the chain get new sprokets as well...A bad chain will wear the sprokets down quickly and vi-versa.

find a source of those 3 phase ones and i want one :)

if it wasnt the chain that munched the pickup, it could be the clearance between the sensor and the magnet on the flywheel that caused it... about 1/4 to 1/2 a mm is good... or it picked up something like a washer that got wedged....

change any stator flywheel setup and its best to get the whole flywheel kit, or you will have troubles...those 140 stators with the 6 radial coils are the G.O. :) or lifan 150's supposedly...

Latest posts

Back