GPX 160cc oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenwingz

Reaction score
I got a pitster pro x4r with a gpx 160 in it, i was wondering what oil would be the best for it, i saw somewhere that the engine takes 10w40 non synthetic but couldn't find that in the automotive shop instead they had synthetic and synthetic blends. would a synthetic/synthetic blend be good for the engine?

I always use Castrol 4t its a 15w-50 and mineral only, its good for higher operating temps, I know super cheap sells it .

I agree with Mick ^^ i use Castrol 4t for the last 3 years and have never had a drama with it i use it in my bikes.

I'm going against the grain here and say Fully Sythentic has never hurt my 155! Just saying... Flame on :welcome:

Last edited:
No flamin lad, i too corey have tryed fully synthetic oils and did not have any clutch dramas at all, the oil in mention was Royal Purple 20w-50 motorcycle wet clutch oil, i did notice it withstood higher operating temperatures and where the mineral would boil thru extreme heat the royal purple did not. But in saying that i get castrol 15w-50 cheap at work and is readily available.

im with corey here ive never had probs with full synthetic no clutch slip at all and the engine ran cooler with it also just saying :)

but yeah as mick says the 4t is cheap and just about everywhere and works well

The problem with using synthetic is noy clutch slip its what it does to the clutch rubber's.
The china rubber's will break down eventually regardless of the oil you use buy synthetic speeds the process up.

The problem with using synthetic is noy clutch slip its what it does to the clutch rubber's.
The china rubber's will break down eventually regardless of the oil you use buy synthetic speeds the process up.

Hey damo, the honda rubbers would have to be of better quality and withstand the synthetics for longer you reckon??

mmmm, i might stick with the castrol 4t for now.

Its the easiest to go that way mick.
Before you know it your rubbers will be worn though. When you pull your clutch cover off next check the play in the rubbers. Hold the big main gear on the clutch basket and move the clutch basket back and forth. You would be surprised how quick they wear.

What kind of money are you looking at to do that Damo? I've be thinking about a 184 kit for mine and I thought of building the bottom end up first!

Yep my clutch rubbers went in under 6 rides.
I notice a difference in oils as well
Motul 15w50 - gear change problems
Belray - 20w 50 - clutch slippage when cold - gear change problems.
standard ass 10w40 - BEST OIL. No slippage, super good gear changes.

IMHO - dont get sucked in by brands. Use low viscosity @15w or under for best results.

Safeway oil ROCKS

Re: gpx 160 oil

850mL mate

Thanks mate, btw i bought the castrol 15w50 from supercheap auto like you said, you've been very helpful :).

Latest posts

Back