Hard To Start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qaztarmas

Reaction score
Hi again everyone,
Sorry for all the posts with my questions about my bike but I am new and everyone is very nice and helpful. Anyway as the title suggests I am having trouble starting my pitpro 50. Is this just because it is a new bike or something. It does start eventually with the choke in the middle position. Sometimes it backfires as well when I try to kick it. Is this normal? Thanks guys as I am still learning with bikes. :)

has the bike been tuned, and the carby jetted to suit the engine ?
have the valves been adjusted yet ?

if not, then that could be part of the problem starting it.

it could also be you techique too ?

turn the kill switch off, so it is ready to run
fuel tap on
push the kickstarter down slowly until it gets hard to push, then let it return to the top
now give it a kick, there should be close on no kickback doing it this way.

the other thing to watch out for is don't turn the throttle as you are kicking it over
put your fingers on the brake lever and hold the front brake on.
this will stop you opening the throttle as you try to start it.

give them a try, and post up your results

cheers, craig

Ok, thanks for that. I will try again tomorrow when I have some time after I get home as I think the neighbours would get annoyed if I tried to start it up now. I was told to use the throttle a little bit when starting it but I will try without it next time. Can't wait to get it up and running properly. :D And No I havent tuned the carby yet or adjusted the valves. I am not entirely sure on how to do that but I will get it eventually. I only have a basic mechanical knowledge which came from owning a pocket rocket where I spent most of my time fixing it :mmph:
Anyway thanks for the response.

simple stuff doing the valves..
the carby will not be to hard to fix either

ok thanks for all the help guys, it starts first kick when it is cold and about 10th when it is warm. Riding it all day today having a great time. Very happy :) Thanks again.

the hot start problem is the valves, they need adjusting.

it is pretty easy
look up 00racing adjusting valves on youtube,
they have a good video showing what to do.

you need some feeler gauges, an 8mm and a 9mm spanner, and a pair of pliers.

Alright, thanks for that. I have to buy some feeler guages when I get around to it. I think I found the video and am just watching it now.

thanks for that, I have found a solution which is just twisting the throttle just as you fully press down the kickstart so it revs and starts. That will have to do before I buy the equipment and find the time to adjust the valves. At least I don't have to wait half and hour after riding before I can set off again.

Ok so I was riding today then it suddenly cut out on me. Started it right up again and took off. When I twist the throttle, it cuts out and starts up right away most times by itself. Do any of you guys know what the problem is? I was thinking it might be the carb and it is dirty but I am not sure. Thanks for all the replies.

it could be a lot of things.
possibly a bad/dirty connection in the wiring one of the plugs/sockets has dirty terminals in it.

it could be a faulty cdi box, a faulty stator, a faulty ignition coil , carby etc etc

It also sometimes cuts out when I apple throttle no matter how slowly. It also doesn't idle properly and sounds like it is running out of air despite the choke being off. Can you please help as I am unable to ride and I was looking forward to today.
:(

ok,
do you know what brand your carby is ?
it should be cast into the side of it, possibly a china copy Mikuni 22/26mm ?

to fix it, you will need to pull the carby off the bike.
turn it upside down and remove the screws holding the fuel bowl on.
there is a smaller hole jet (Pilot Jet) towards the intake side of the carby, not the one in the middle (Main Jet)
you need to unscrew the pilot jet and poke some wire through the centre hole.
try and use a strand of wire from a wire brush or similar.
once you are happy that the hole is clean/clear, there might be 4 or 6 holes across the jet at the other end of the jet
these need to be clear/clean too.
if you have a compressor blow them out well after cleaning them.
also in the hole where that jet screws into, if you look into the pilot jet hole,
you should be able to see a tiny hole that goes through into the main bore of the carby
this hole needs to be open/clear as well.

this Pilot Jet is for idle, and up to around 1/4 throttle.

if your Pilot Jet is blocked it won't idle very well, if at all, it wont rev properly and will cause the engine to hesitate as you rev it.
sometimes causing backfires as you rev.

post up your results, or any other questions and we should be able to help you sort it.

cheers, craig

Clean your Carb, check your spark plug is in properly an the lead is on tight then check The coil wires are tight on the terminals..

The replies above will put ya in the right direction fixing ya problem. It sounds like ya pilot jet. Follow what my67xr said and that sound fix it. Also DONT run dirty or old fuel, try using higher octane fuel 95 +
What carby ya got ?

I believe I have a 26mm Mikuni Copy. I took apart the carby and found that all the holes were clean. Then I changed the fuel and found that this was the problem as it started right away and ran significantly better. Error on my part as I had some fuel lying about that I put in that is meant for the mower. :/ After going to get fresh 98 octane stuff it ran brilliantly. thanks for the help. At least I now know how to take the carburettor apart now and how to clean it. Cheers for all the replies. :)

Yes you are completely correct, you learn something new each day. Now I know what not to put in my bike. Just a question about oil, when should you change it for a new bike as the only oil I have changed is the shipping oil which I got rid of before I started it up. My bike has around 5 hours on it now. Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
:)

Yes you are completely correct, you learn something new each day. Now I know what not to put in my bike. Just a question about oil, when should you change it for a new bike as the only oil I have changed is the shipping oil which I got rid of before I started it up. My bike has around 5 hours on it now. Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
:)

Its probably time, i would do a 2hr run on a fresh engine and change the oil because of all the left over castings etc that chinese leave in there come loose do i drop the oil and all the bits of ****..
after that then i do 5-10 hours depends how much i feel like doing

Ok thanks, I will buy some more oil tomorrow or whenever I get a free moment. I will probably change it every 10 or so hours after this as I am not riding it to hard because I am just learning at the moment and haven't even gone full throttle in 4th yet. When I get better and ride harder and faster I will change it more often. Is 15w-40 ok for the summer or should I get a higher viscosity like 20w-50 as it is starting to heat up a fair bit now.

Latest posts

Back