head gasket

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

china boy788

Reaction score
hey, so i jst put in a new cam and that in my head and its jst blowing white smoke,

i started it up the other day and it was fine no smoke, and just let it idel for about 20mins to wear the cam and that in

now searching around on the site and fine this

Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
Sources of white /grey / or blue smoke are :

1) Poorly sealing rings on the bore wall ie rings or bore worn out of round , honing peaks gone without rings bedding in ... bore wall or rings scratched or gouged by grit ... Rings can also be stretched out of round during installation or removal and they'll never ever seal again ... Even if rings are carefully removed from a bore ... the cylinder MUST be re-honed for them to re-seal to a high degree again ...

2) Ring end gaps too big ... Ring end gaps not properly staggered or in the wrong position in the bore ...

3) Oil can leak past worn , damaged or incorrectly installed valve stem oil seals ... the symptoms are usually a puff of white smoke on start up that goes away or diminishes as the engine warms up ... oil leaks into the ports while the engine is sitting ... but the leakage rate is too slow to make smoke while the engine is running ... The engine can puff white smoke when the throttle is backed off since the cylinder vacuum sucks hard on the seals when the slide is shut off ... The same can happen if the ring seal is bad too ... only the oil gets sucked up from the crank case ... Oil mist or smoke blowing out from the dipstick or vents can also indicate bad ring seal / blowby ...

3) Bore scuffed from over heating ... the rings expand , the ends butt tightly together , the ring keeps expanding and forces too hard on the bore scraping the honing off and glazing the bore ... then when the engine cools , the bore is bigger than the rings ... it only has to be a micro thou bigger to be no good ...

4) Those junk thin steel shim gaskets that are supplied with some BBK's combined with the removal of the rubber O-ring and trumpet piece can allow oil to leak from the gallery into the bore ... Once again , the oil gets sucked into the cylinder on backing off the throttle from high revs ... Only copper or stock type gaskets which expand or crush unevenly can fill variances in between machined surfaces ... For a steel gasket to work , the machining would have to be perfect ... and that's pure fantasy without hand scraping and lapping each individual cylinder head to the cylinder ... They say to use Honda bond or some other type of hardening gasket cement , but anything like that can be blown out or crack and leak ... The very idea of using it to do the job of a head gasket is ridiculous ... and BODGEY ...

5) Even IF the parts were lapped to perfection ... the tensions of each cylinder stud would all have to be precisely the same and torqued in the proper sequence to avoid distortion ...

Bad ring seal or a blown head gasket causes smoking to get worse as the engine revs higher ... The colour varies from grey to white as the amount of oil getting burnt increases ... Only a rich fuel to air ratio burns black ...

the one im look at is 4, is this the gasket he is talking about, the thin one with no o rings

posting a pic of up it soon

but its the akunar PITBIKE LARGE HONDA STUD TYPE Aluminium Flat 0.5mm one

Last edited:
is it blowing smoke while holding the throttle open or only while backing off...

if its under throttle then its probly the rings..or the intake seal, but that would only show slight signs of smoke and you would also have trouble setting the carb up as the intake seal will allow a vacuum leak.

if its while backing off the throttle then it can be headgasket near the o ring ir valve stems seals...

after you fitted the new valve stem seals and then inserted the valve, did you notice a greater resistance to push the valves in when the valve got the to the seal?
if not then the seals are the wrong size...

its jst blowing smoke from as soon as you start it,,

with the seals, i remmber one being kindy hard to pull in, but he sent me 2 pairs so ill go check the others now

pics
old one
IMG_0748.jpg

new one
IMG_0747.jpg

ok check the other seals and they were a tight fit as well, so ikd

and now it jst wants to smoke when reving up, only started it for about 30 secs and gave it couple of revs and only did it when reving up

slide the seals over your old valves and see how much resistance there is...

and that head gasket is the same as the one i just got, haven't tried it yet tho

yer theres not much resistance there, but enf to hold the valve falling down, he sent me 2 of every gasket for some reason but no tapper one,

will you be trying yours any time soon??

there doesnt have to be a great deal of resistance. i wonder if the seals in it have the same amount

im waiting for the barrel to be bored, and gotta get new bearings for the box and crank..

hmm ok well the smokes gone down from when i firsted started it,,

ill take it for a small run now and c how it goes

Latest posts

Back