headset bearings...!? Binding under load?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
I was riding some steep downhills on the weekend, and noticed that when the front end was totally loaded up, the headset tightened right up and the steeering became horrible...!

I pulled the bearings (along with every other bearing on the bike I could easily access and they were all siezed...) and went down to SKF - at $6 a wheel bearing, no worries, but for a set to go the chain tensioner roller thing - $18 each!!! At least they are nicely sealed with rubber, not pressed steel ****e...

ANYWAY, whilst I was standing at the counter I loaded up the headset bearing in my hand and tried to rotate it and found it binds under load...?! wtf?? I'm tipping thats not normal, but seeing as SKF didn't have any in stock, I'm left looking for some elsewhere.

So, who knows were I can get some bearings, even online would be best...? Bike is PP140, for what its worth.

dhz has them

stock bearings will always **** themselves if you don't grease them, the china grease which comes in them does nothing

I'm yet to hear much bad about DHZ so I'll wait till they are back on board and get bearings through them, unless I get really inspired and go find some at a bearing wholesaler...

I'll give that ebayer a miss, at first glance I'm not sure they are any better than what was in there, although the DHZ ones might not be either...?!

At any rate, I've learnt my lesson!

What else flogs out quickly? I noticed the front brake diaphragm on the lever is pretty close to perished as well which is sad, so looks like someone will be getting more cash from me, as well as bent foot peg mounts, gear lever and the list goes on ;) China's are fun! :D

Thanks for the tips.

You'll find the 44 x 22 upper bearings in SKF ... but you won't find the lower 44 x 23.5 bearings (the one that takes all of the load) in a Jap brand as far as I know ...

What I do know is that that seller (surfbabe) sells the exact same brand bearings as DHZ ... Since I've bought several sets off both of them ... and they sell the exact same Lifan 150 ORK kit ...

But there's no harm in being loyal to DHZ ... I've spent a shirt load of cash with them over the past five years ... There's nothing quite like their prompt delivery times ...

All bikes break or bend parts if you crash them regularly ... NO part will compensate for an abusive "crash test dummy" type rider or lousy maintenance ... The idea is to stay upright , don't crash unless it's in a controlled manner that's kind on parts , and do regular inspections , adjustments , and repairs ...
Heaps of riders are slack asses ... that's why all bikes have to pass scrutineering before they're allowed out onto the track at races ...

At least chinese parts are cheap and easy to replace ... Imagine having to pay bike shop prices for all your parts ... ie $300 + for a centre case half , clutch or flywheel cover ... $50 for a few gaskets etc etc etc ... How about $100 ~ $150 for a set of head stem bearings like it used to be ? ...

[Dvdrip ^^^^ sounds great in theory but my injuries and wallet say otherwise ]

Well thank yourself lucky you're not crashing or blowing up a $10,000 Jap bike where the pain of the cost of repairs is much higher ... LOL ...

Latest posts

Back