Helmets, do you get what you pay for?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
Hi, looking at getting a helmet because to be honest and you'll probaby think I'm mad but I have never had one even though I've been riding since I was eight! lol
Any way not looking to break the bank is my point, If I get a cheap helmet will it protect my head or is it a case of spending more. I found these second hand ones on ebay for you to check out, are they any good?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Any brands to watch out?

Hey mate,

I would strongly advise against a second hand helmet, they are designed for 1 crash and after that they are throw-away material. The internal foam is designed to break upon impact, taking the force instead of your noggin. A second hand helmet is a huge risk as it may have been formerly crashed or neglected in terms of care by its previous owner.

As with nearly all things, the more you pay the better quality and comfort youll get. I spent around the $150 mark for a brand new M2R helmet and its comfy, and proven to take a good hit!

It's your decision mate and I suppose any helmet is better than none, but my strong suggestion is a brand new mid priced one mate. Have you considered going to a local store and looking for End of Range specials or the like?

have a good one man
Carlton

go when the bikes shop get the new season of helmets in.. i managed to get last season's o'neal monster energy helmet for 150 bucks... and got matching gloves for 25 bucks..

If you do decide to go the eBay option mate make sure it has the Australian standards sticker on it, it's usually white or silver with red ticks on it. And at the rear bottom of the helmet, usually :)

As above you should really avoid buying a 2nd hand helmet, you have no idea the history of it, and lets be honest, your head is worth more than the $ a second hand helmet will save you.

I have no problem with spending $200-$250 on a new helmet. There is such a huge range out there you will always find something that looks sick that will make you WANT to wear it, and in reality, it's the only piece of safety equipment that lowers my chance of becoming a vegetable who ****s himself all day long and has to be spoon fed by my mum. You can spend less than that and still get a good helmet.

Honestly man a couple of $$$ on a new helmet is one of those things that you just have to accept the cost, like insuring your car or something :)

the THH and M2R are available for about $100 brand new, sometimes the shops have last seasons' models out cheaper too.
have a look at Coast Yamaha, they had some new No Fear helmets not long ago for $80 ea
Show and Go, have some new old stock THH for $80.
Peter Stevens also have a few at clearance prices, Fox etc for about $100

some of those cheapy Kinlin etc can be bought from Dassa at wingfield for $70 odd new, not Aust Standard though.

what size head do you have?
measure around your forehead in centimeters

$859.00 what a bargain... LOL... My latest is an MSR and it seems decent, picked mine up for $180 n i think DHZ now have em for about $140...

look I know your mind is basically made up already but if you need any more convincing, back in 2007 my family (me, bro, dad and uncle) were riding around and generally acting the tit, and being males we decided " let's have a contest to see who could pass through our track in the quickest time, I was a very very new rider at the time and took it safe, my brother went through faster then me but ended up safe. when it got time for my uncle to go, he was flooring it, determined to beat my brother and myself, he hit a berm at a speed that the berm was not designed for and it crumbled beneath his bike. he flew off and his head slammed into a near by tree, later at the doctor we were told that the only thing standing between my uncle and permenant brain damage was his high grade helmet.

what I'm saying is if it wasn't for his helmet, my uncle would be brain damaged. SO BUY A GOOD HELMET!

Last edited:
I've been on a bike for 20+ years and I have always subscribed to the theory the "a $2 helmet for a $2 head"... So buy the best helmet you can afford,even if that means saving up some extra coin for a month or 2..
AUS Standards approved, if the sticker is not on the back of the helmet, lift up the helmet liner inside, it should be underneath.. some "DOT Approved" (imported from USA market) helmets will not have the AUS standards sticker but that only means that they may knocked back during scrutineering at a race meet, But if your not to worried about that then a"DOT" helmet will be more than up to the task and...... DONT BUY SECOND HAND...EVER!!

It say 2013, does that mean its not available until 2013? .

Nuh that just means that it's the 2013 line of apparel. As in it's the latest styles of gear. They release gear in 2012 and call it 2013's styles, same with pants and jerseys etc. Hope that made sense :)

yeah I see your point and will have to go all out on it, the good thing is that I don't race so until I get it I'll just muck around at slower speeds like I usually do. Hit the shops when I get a chance and try on some helmets, maybe morphet vale bike shops or even show n go cause I think they had some selling pretty cheap, will just have to check it out.

Last edited:
$T2eC16Z,!zcE9s4g3Kn0BQTWUP53vg~~60_12.JPG

Great looking helmet man, your noggin won't regret it!!

Thanks carlts, still getting used to wearing one, after riding for about 8 to 10 years without one it feels weird and the visor kind of distorts my vision like a wide angle lens on a camera would (does that make sense?). But after a few hours riding I am getting used to it, the best part is that there is no more dam bugs in my eye's anymore or stones from the bike in front of me for that matter.

Helmets, do you get what you paid for?

I know this may seem odd but how the hell have you not been riding with a helmet for so long????

Latest posts

Back