help advice Cr 80 possible build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle

Reaction score
Hi all
I have my wifes 92 CR 80 sitting in the shed doing nothing and i thing that it is time that it got some use.
I bought the bike for $100 in bits and put it back together all it needed was some new linkage bearings, rear shock rebuild and a wiring fault fixed and we were good to go but with another new kid the wife has lost intrest in riding.

So now I'm looking at motarding it and riding it at Archerfiled not to race just for ****s and giggles I have set up a crf450 for motarding so i have the basic idear.

I want to keep the build as cheep as possible to start off so instead of relacing the standard i have had alook at a set of pitbike rims and looking at the pit bike i have with a few spaces i should be able to adapt them to fit.
So if these can be used where in brisbane should get a set Yamoto will sell me a set for 300 with slicks on them and off ebay for 209 with disc and sprocket with cheng shin tyres.

Once i have it up and running i will star to look at suspension and tuning then cosmetics cause as it is it is damn ugly.

So any advice about set up where to get bits and alike would be great thanks

Cheers turtle
SANY0109.jpg

I don't know about OZ, but in the US, a CR engine sells for enough to buy an XR100 to swap in. Not as fast, but it is more accepted as a "mini". Dinger is a rocket, though. Chinese wheels and Japanese horsepower means you better keep your spoke wrench handy. If it was me, I'd stick a 16" rear off a Big Wheel CR Expert on it. Might need the arm, but all else bolts on. 16/17 combo should be fine for dinking.

Yeah Mate.... do it!!!! I bought ebay wheels for 270 with tyres and de-laced them and re-laced them to the ktm hubs and put the tyres back on!!!! Cheap as and the 2 stroke power delivery is oh so much fuuuun!!!!!

so it has begun. I got hold of this rim set with tyres, sprocket and disc for 200 and i can get slicks pretty cheap off them. Any how I just need to get some machining done and i should be rolling by the end of next week.
SANY0189.jpg

SANY0190.jpg

Awesome work dude!!!! As previously posted, get some decent rubber!!!
yeh a few lads made the same comment to day at the track day.
what do you recomend and where to get it

i was on the search tonight for the sava's that pete recommended today at the race 'MC31-S Racer'
here's where i found them
Sava Tyres

i'm gonna call up some of the dealers tomorrow sometime to get a set, my tyres are rubbish

The sava's are great. i believe if you email that site they will post some out to you.

if your on a budget get the CST's for half the price.
Did you ride it at the track, or are you still waiting to line the brakes and spacers up?

I have MC31's in the shed just waiting for the CST's to pop!!! So I can't comment on the Sava's yet although they look prudy!!! I think they are 130/120 bucks each for rear/front respectively.

I road my 450 on the weekend. I have the front sorted but I have to fab a back caliper bracket up but it is well on the way to be running by the end of the week.

Just a quick up date. I have the front wheel fitted up and working correctly just have to trim the axle and face off the spaces. I found without a lot of machining and just not fitting I could not use the standard CR rear caliper so i fab a new bracket up and fitted a caliper i had in the shed (I found some nice two pot ones on ebay however the words racing budget get the same responce from the wife as can i sleep with your sister). I still need abit of adjustment on the spaces in the rear but it all lines up well, just need the right length brake line and chain.
Also put a new set of bars and removed the standard fender and number plate looking to replace with KLX style plastics if i can get hold of them for cheap enough.
SANY0192.jpg

SANY0195.jpg

SANY0194.jpg

Last edited:
looking great turtle
like the no guard look
your gunna love it at archy
hope we can swap bikes for a couple of laps ?

Sure thing defunk. I've achieved a bit more on the project. Brakes are sorted, chain on, new bars fitted. I took it out for a quick test around the block but didn't take a screw driver to adjust the mixture plus it was running on old fuel so it felt a bit doughy and so does the suspension but that I can work on. I have to fix an exhaust leak from where the expansion chamber meets the head not sure how but it needs to be done. Sould be able to take it for another quick run tomozza arvo with the gps to check top speed to work out gearing.

Latest posts

Back