HELP!! Brand new DHZ Outlaw 160R stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West-oz-Wez

Reaction score
Hi all :) This is my debut thread after lurking for the past few weeks in preparation for the purchase of my new toy!

Well i received a dirty great box today from my local courier much to my surprise as it came early :)
So.. after hours of love, assembly, cable tensioning etc and a changeover of the transport oil to the recommended mineral oil she was ready to be fired up and shaken down. Chucked my kit on and off i went.
Buuuut..
Maybe 5 minutes into the ride i noticed that i couldn't shift up or down anymore.. clutch still works as a clutch and i managed to ride her home tho by then i was in a stinker of a mood so i just parked her up and waited to cool down (the bike and myself) so i could have a gander. Much to my disgust it's jammed up.. no amount of rocking back and forth (honestly didn't try much) would free it so i threw my hands up in defeat and walked away before i done some real damage.

Does anyone have any insight into what might have gone wrong and how i should go about fixing it? I'm very mechanically minded but as i'm new to moto's i thought it best to seek professional advice.

Over all i'm pretty happy with the bike and the quality (so far) but i'm mega peeved that it shart so early :frustrated: any advice would be very much appreciated thanks guys.

have you dropped/stacked or bashed the bike against a log or anything? doesnt take much to bend the gear shaft lever which will have this effect..

ring DHZ as they may have had a batch of engines with minor problems and should be able to point you to the problem straight away..

failing that if your confident in pulling engines down then start with the magneto cover, theres a small rubber bung above the front chain sprocket, pry it out and check the bolt in there is tight.
if all is good in there its time to remove the clutch cover.
firstly closely inspect everything to see if the obvious stands out but to go any further your going to need the correct tool to undo the clutch basket nut...

hopefully its just the star shift screw on the gear drum thats come loose or forgotten to be tightened up lol..

oh dont forget to drain your oil into something clean so you can re-use it.. might show some signs of problem too..

Picture reffereance of what sean01 is talking about this is one of my honda motors but it'll be near on the same in your DHZ. "shift star" is the top left. you might find that is loose or snagged and not allowing gear changes , Ive come across a bent roller arm before that rides the stars highs and lows.

honda-shift-star.jpg

Thanks heaps for the info guys :) i emailed DHZ last night and am still waiting on a reply. Might just ring them instead. No Sean01 i haven't dropped it or hit a log as i didn't ride it long enough and was riding it like a nanna for its run in lol. As i am blessed to live right next to the bush i rode it down my driveway and along a footpath to the nearest bush track and turned around so as not to go too far from home in case something did go wrong and it did.. Thanks for the reference pic there eichkay, it makes a lot more sense than the half arsed parts diagram downloadable from DHZ.

I'll keep you guys posted

Just spoke to Keith the mechanic and he pointed me in the same direction so out come the tools. He also said that they had a bad batch of Zongers about 12 months ago but since have changed to a better gearbox and my problem is a first.

All sorted :)
Many thanks again to Sean01, eichkay and Keith the mechanic at DHZ. After a few phone calls, texts and picture messages to Keith i was back in action.

The problem was that little wheel thing below the shift star. It had lodged itself on that seat looking bit next to the bearing.

Attachments

• 08022012185[1].jpg
    08022012185[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
hi all, im new to the forum also, and i also bought a dhz 160 and took it out today for its first serious ride.
i found i have the exact same problem... the gear shaft/ gear selector has actually bent itself, i barely gave it a little kick to shift down... now its stuck in 2nd...
anyway, is there replacement ones of these? like does anyone know if they come in the new gearbox set or if there is better upgrades for this part? i really dont wana put another stock shaft into it if its going to do the same thing in 10 minutes of use...

ill go see my bike mechanic soon too, and see what he says. cheers

^^^^ not too common a problem for bikes early on but not to sure if theres a heavy duty upgrade.

DHZ have the gear box here:

PisterPRO Pro 160HO Engine Gear Box

and in the note the shift drum is $50 extra. I assume you could buy it seperate.

Have a chat to DHZ and as its a new bike they whould be able to at the very least offer a discount on the replacement parts....

It's happened to me a few more times since but not really a hassel to fix if you like pulling things apart. The last time it happened i was about 30km out of town and had no phone reception to call for assistance so i spent the next 2 hours riding home in 1st gear.. on a main road.. i can't be sure as to why it happened but i pulled over on a bush track for a break and thought i had it in neutral and released the clutch and it stalled. Fair enough i thought. went to continue on with my ride after said break and tried for neutral so i could kick her in the guts and BAM! stuck in 1st.. some choice words later and i was heading for the main road willing to cop a fine and maybe a lift from the local constabulary but as usual were nowhere to be found when you really need them. I'm not exactly happy with the gearbox issue but haven't really bothered making any fuss about it to DHZ as Keith the mechanic at DHZ told me mine is the first to have this issue so i thought i'd leave it until the problem becomes a bit more common.

I also have a bent shifter shaft but that's my own fault for not tightening my handlebars properly.. I'm sure you can imagine the end result..

Keep your shifts clean and don't stall it if possible and you should have no problems.

bent shifter shaft is enough to give gear problems as sometimes the shaft will slightly jam in the shaft tunnel not allowing the shifter to return to center, it can also reduce the amount the shifter moves which allows half shifted gears...

straighten/ replace the shaft would be the first fix..
if the other problem is still happening then either that arm with the roller on it is slightly bent or the gear drum bolt above the sprocket (behind rubber bung) is loose...

yeah i havent had time until today to have a go at trying to fix it myself.
ive ordered new parts but its been 2 weeks and my bike shop hasnt called me to say they have the parts in yet... chances are they forgot.
anyway i took the whole engine apart, the stock air filter has let dust into the whole chamber... so im doing a full rebuild of a brand new bike...
note to everyone: upgrade the stock air filters straight away!
but anyway, i took the whole engine apart down to the clutch so far, but there is like a really strange bolt holding the clutch plate in. and ive got no idea how to get it off, let alone doing it back up again...
hopefully the fitters and turners at my work can sort it out.
plus im going to copy the new shaft once it arrives, make it out of high-speed steel rather than this stock cast iron ****.
i cant believe its bent itself so bad allready.
from the picture reference, i cant quite tell behind the clutch plate, but the gear arms might have clipped off the shift star on the top left, i dont know for sure because i cant get my clutch off lol...
how do you guys get your clutch bolt off? (its the bolt in the centre of the picture under the shift star, i dont know why mines so bloody tight. the bike is stuck in second gear, unsure if thats going to cause issues?...

Latest posts

Back