HELP! Clutch won't work

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makedonski

Reaction score
hey experts, my clutch doesn't work. I put it in 1st gear and i hold the clutch and it still locks up. when its running, i hold the clutch then kick up, it tries to go and stalls. i can see the cable pulls properly but theres something wrong inside. help what do i do and whats the problem. thx

"X" is an unknown factor ... and a "Spurt" is a drip under pressure !!!!!! No wonder we're stressed and confused , befuddled and bewildered ...

It could be anything dude ... ya' won't know 'til ya' pull the clutch cover off and take a geez inside ...

Possibilities are :

Clutch plates stuck together by oil that's taken on the consistency of glue ... much like the pages of some peoples Girly mags ...

Clutch arm sheared and rotating on the end of the clutch cam ...

Clutch cam worn and not pushing ...

its a yx140, thanks cactus jack, im going to take it to epping motorcycles tomorrow so they'll fix it. i think the plates are stuck. lol you know everything :D

if it helps. this problem immediately occured when my clutch cable ripped. after i put the new one in and i installed it properly this clutch problem then happened. so i think its also something to do with the sudden rip of the cable.

1. i drained the oil
2. i poured in new oil.
3. i started it.
4. left it running for 2-3mins, den i kept pulling the clutch in and out while in neutral.
5. i thought it would get oil in the clutch or something and then....................... "cable rips".

hope that helps headmess

work something out? great. i'd pay u fairly to fix it. Clutch action feels really loose. its like no matter how much i tighten it , it's still loose.

last time i went ro epping motorcycles for my bike they charged me $150 to put on pro taper bars and straighten a my front disc. i don't think that was fair..... pro tapers were $90, charged me $30 labour to put them on and $30 to straighten the disc when with that amount i could have bought a new disc. :(

yeah the bike shops aint cheap to get stuff done, i'd attempt it yourself or if you arnt confident then give headmess a pm, theres topics on here about pulling clutches apart if you want to do it urself

im scared i might make it worse. so i reckon its best to leave it to the experts. yeh i gave headsmess a pm. waiting for a reply. in regards to bike shops, i reckon they waste time and kick back half the time. sad but true:confused:

have you tried to pull the clutch cover off and see if you can see anythin that doesnt look right? Cant make it worse by pulling the cover off and having a peak, could take a pic or two of what ya see and we might be able to help ya

then im gonna need to drain the oil and i think the bolts are too tight. its only weak aluminium, so it might fuck up.

it sounds like your clutch springs, taking apart a clutch is very simple actually!! everything goes in the way it came out. theres 2 parts to the clutch inside the clutch basket, the basket obviously by name holds everything in, there is then 2 different kinds of clutch discs that just stack one on top of the other, there are steels and fibers, fibers have little pads on them and the steels are just metal rings with grooves on the inside they look like the opposite of a sprocket, the teeth are on the inside, ANYWAYS they just stack every other, and one KEY is MAKE SURE THE CLUTCH STEELS AND FIBERS SOAK OVERNIGHT IN OIL!!!!!! Otherwise, you'll be doing the same job over again A LOT sooner than you want to! heres a link of what the guts of a clutch basket looks like the top are steels the bottom are fibers or if your REALLY lazy just click on the link haha http://www.mpsracing.com/images/products/FBG/ClutchPlates.jpg

Attachments

• ClutchPlates.jpg
    ClutchPlates.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 3
thanks everyone. i will learn but anyway i pushed it all the way to epping motorcycles as i have no trailer from my house. they fixed it for $30. they said something was wrong with the rod and pin. im happy they did it for cheap and fast. i also bought pro taper grips and they put them on for free. might as well aye.

thanks for the help guys. i will use your help so i can do it myself next time. cheers:)

Latest posts

Back