Help for first time bike :)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAMO93

Reaction score
Hey all im lookin for my first bike.
I have no idea what im looking at to do with what brands are good?
I am gunna spend around $600 on one probably from ebay lol ... :\
Any help? prior experience with any>? just any information thanks
im also about 6 ft 65 kgs
Im looking in a bike something that will go hard and also last.

well have you riden before? how old are you? wat type of riding will you be doin jumps etc? wat area are you located?

atomik nitrous 160 is perfect for your price range... it's far from perfect just like any cheap bike but you won't find anything better for under a grand.

if its your first bike id be lookin at 125 cc 4 stroke you can get a atomik for that they last if you care for them i have one everyone here said they are crap but mine has never broke

keep an eye on the classifieds and buy something thats had some work done to it.. least with a 2nd hand bike you wont be worried about running it in, stacking it, etc etc, its also more likely to have some of the cheaper parts replaced, maybe some go fast bits.. Dont jump into the water without measuring the depth first.. do some research into whats available and if need be.. save a few more bucks and get something half decent rather than just cheap and available while you have cash..

Check out what some of the members are riding and see what 'standard' modifications they do to a stock bike. Determine your mods for the riding your doing.. No good getting motard rubber if you plan on hitting bush trails, no good spending $600 on a bike if you want to hit a jump and know its not going to snap when you land either..

Horses for courses as they say..

well have you riden before? how old are you? wat type of riding will you be doin jumps etc? wat area are you located?
Thanks for all the replys.
Yeah i have riddin a few times before probably aroudn 5.
Im 16
Riding style would be trails and jumps and offroad
IM in the eastern suburbs victoria :)
atomik nitrous 160 is perfect for your price range... it's far from perfect just like any cheap bike but you won't find anything better for under a grand.
Thanks Im looking at them now. The frames look a bit thin? will it hold up on like 50 m singles? 8 m doubles?
What about the engine and parts? they wont break as soon as i get it? will they?
Id take good care of it? would it last?
if its your first bike id be lookin at 125 cc 4 stroke you can get a atomik for that they last if you care for them i have one everyone here said they are crap but mine has never broke
Ok thanks. :) there pretty cheap on ebay :/ is that a good thing ?
Any of the atomik nitroussss would be good for u.

Thanks im looking at the 150s ? any other brands like Pitpro? ive heard a lil about them>?
keep an eye on the classifieds and buy something thats had some work done to it.. least with a 2nd hand bike you wont be worried about running it in, stacking it, etc etc, its also more likely to have some of the cheaper parts replaced, maybe some go fast bits.. Dont jump into the water without measuring the depth first.. do some research into whats available and if need be.. save a few more bucks and get something half decent rather than just cheap and available while you have cash..

Check out what some of the members are riding and see what 'standard' modifications they do to a stock bike. Determine your mods for the riding your doing.. No good getting motard rubber if you plan on hitting bush trails, no good spending $600 on a bike if you want to hit a jump and know its not going to snap when you land either..

Horses for courses as they say..
Ahk thanks for the advice> what would you do in my situation?>

first up i'd be looking at a sorted second hand bike of a more reputable brand... miniclassifieds has heaps in there...

Good secondhand bikes can also be found on egay, particularly if you could find one called an AGB29... that particular model of Atomik is bulletproof, and i've seen quite a few 150's for between $300 and $500.
There are also brands like MSO, Motovert, DHZ etc secondhand that would be worth a look...

Failing that, if you dont have the cash to extend to a new DHZ, then the Atomik Nitrous is the only bike worth looking at in that price range, brand new...

how long the bike will last is entirely up to you, and the initial set-up, followed by the maintenance schedule... these things dont require a degree in physics to keep running...

i did a couple of threads on it awhile back, if you go through it on your bike when you first get it, it will prolong the life of your bike....
http://www.miniriders.com.au/bike-setup/24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips.html
http://www.miniriders.com.au/bike-setup/24009-performance-upgrades-guidelines-stage-i-iii.html

Thanks Im looking at them now. The frames look a bit thin? will it hold up on like 50 m singles? 8 m doubles?
frame will hold up fine if you upgrade the suspension, any bike under $200 needs a suspension upgrade to be able to handle big jumps
What about the engine and parts? they wont break as soon as i get it? will they?
Id take good care of it? would it last?
parts are on par with any other cheap bike.... all except for the frame, DHZ frames are much stronger
maintenance is the key to keeping any china bike running, if you don't spend twice as much time maintaining it than you do riding it then you've either got a bloody good bike or your bike is about to die

Ok thanks. :) there pretty cheap on ebay :/ is that a good thing ?
well if ya want a cheap bike then yes! anything else for under $900 is rubbish in comparison

Thanks im looking at the 150s ? any other brands like Pitpro? ive heard a lil about them>?
pitpro's are atomiks with a different sticker kit and twice the price
Ahk thanks for the advice> what would you do in my situation?>
I save $2500 and buy a pitster x4r.... you won't regret it! it comes with good suspension and high quality parts all around... a cheaper bike will need suspension upgrades mainly and allot of little bits n peices, throttle, bars, etc,.

I agree. Atomik nitrous would be the best you can buy for your budget. Then maybe spend under $100 for some minor upgrades like a good chain as the stock ones stretch like crazy.

Ok thanks for all your help :) i will let you no my final decision probably with a review thanks.

Latest posts

Back