Help me before I pull what's left of my hair out 82 DS80

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Reaction score
Hey Y'all, hope someone can help
I bought a 1982 DS80. It didn't run, but has good compression. It had a bad stater shaft, so I bought a new one , split the cases and installed it, checked all the motor internals and reassembled everything. Inside the motor looks brand new. Standard bore, cylinder walls were clean, but I ball honed them anyway. We went ahead and made a street bobber out if it. Looks awesome.

So now I went to see about getting it running. Cleaned the points. There was only 3 wires on the bike. One from the points to the external coil under the tank, one to the head light and one to the tail light. Checked the connections, all is good. Gapped the points. Spun the motor over and NO SPARK. ARRRRG !!!!

Put a meter on AC and grounded the earth lead and put the positive lead to the wire coming off the coil. Don't remember what the reading was, but it did show something. Grounded the plug and spun the motor over fast as I could just barely feel any type of a spark.

Changed the coil with 3 other coils, same thing, very faint shock. Didn't know if any of the coils were good for sure, so I bought a new one and installed it. NOTHING now, checked the other 3 coils NOTHING.

Pulled the points and checked them with the meter. They had NO continuity whether open or closed, even after grinding the faces with a sand paper wheels. Seemed really odd, never seen that before, so I bought a new set of points. Checked them with the meter and they have cont. when closed and none when open, like they are supposed to. Installed them and gapped 'em. Spun the motor over with a drill about 750 rpm. NOTHING.

I figured I would check the connections on the wires and they are good. So I thought to see if the lighting coil was operating, so I turn on the switch and spun the motor over and I have lights when the mag is turning, but still no spark. There is no kill switch on the bike. The magneto looks brand new. I've looked at the wires coming from the coils to the outside of the motor. No breaks, not even any cracks in the wiring covers.

Can I get some thoughts on why this magneto will not produce a spark at the plug, even with new points and new high output coil?

The only thing i can think of is the points are shorting to ground, if there is a fibre washer missing/broken/in the wrong place the points would be shorting to the motor and killing the spark. Also make sure the coil is earthed properly, if you have fresh paint you may need to bare a little paint for the coil earth. When you say you could barely feel any spark, did you feel something? If so the source coil on the stator could be stuffed, a manual should have res. readings to test whether a coil is serviceable. In a pinch you could run the other/one of the other coils on the stator as a source coil. The circuit needs to start at ground, one leg of the source coil to ground, through the coil to the points, through the points, then to the ignition coil. As you have done before, chuck the meter on ac volts, neg lead earthed and pos lead on the ignition coil wire, spinning it over with the kicker by hand you should see it rise to 6 or so volts (take the spark plug out of the motor to make it easier to spin over). Also if you have a 6v battery (like a lantern battery) you can test the ignition coil. Connect neg to the coil earth and the thread of the spark plug, then connect a wire to the ignition coil wire and flick the other end on the pos terminal on the battery to simulate the make and break of the points, if you dont get a nice strong spark then your ignition coil is no good (faulty or possibly a 12v coil on a 6v system). Without never having a DS80 thats as much as i can tell you

Last edited:
Welcome to Miniriders.
First up, drop in and say hello here-
http://www.miniriders.com/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

Measuring the volt's going to the coil will only show about 1/2 or below the normal running voltage when kicking it over, so 3v or under.

Do you have a new spark plug fitted to the bike ?
If so what make and model number is it ?

Can you post up a pic of the ignition coil and mount etc you are using, and the one's you have tried?
And a pic of the point's fitted to the magneto too, it might help us spot something obvious.
Do you have the Ohm reading off the source coil where the magneto wiring join's to the main harness?
Lighting coil is just for the light's so don't worry about that one.
Also what Ohm reading do you have for the primary side of the ignition coil ?
Set your meter to Ohm's and put one lead from the meter to the power terminal on the coil.
And run the other lead from the meter to the ignition coils' earth.

This thread has a how to post picture's section.
http://www.miniriders.com/general-c...ers-old-new-few-helpful-tips-hints-ideas.html

Cheer's, Craig

Latest posts

Back