Help plz mini quad 49cc problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie1980

Reaction score
Hi all thanks for taking the time to read, I have a cheap mini 49cc quad for my 6 year old boy but have an issue with it. The problem it starts all fine runs well but when he rides it and stops the bike, it keeps moving and he has to hit the cut out switch.this doesn't happen all the time but most of the time.He is now too scared to ride the quad does anybody know what the problem could be thanks

Welcome to Minirider's

I would be looking at the throttle cable, and checking for any kink's or anywhere it might be hooking up when he is turning it.

Hi Cookie1980,

like you I'm a new member here and was just reading some threads and came across yours. Am I correct in thinking you are talking about a 2 stroke quad? If so ... Having had a few 49cc mini quads myself, the first thing that came to mind regards your problem was that this will happen if the engine is idling to high. If this is the case the centrifugal clutch will be engaging and causing the bike to move. Just adjust the idle down a bit. this is done via a screw on the side of the carb. The screw will look like it goes up the middle of a spring. Prob located at the central area of the carb on the right hand side. just turn it anti clockwise slowly until the revs come down to a point the bike doesn't want to move off. then take it down just a bit more.

Hope this helps

MarCon.

Thanks for your response I have replaced the throttle cable already so it shouldn't be that. Yes it is a 2 stroke if the idle screw is too high would it not start moving when I start?, when I first start the quad it is fine it ticks over without moving, it only happens after it's been ridden. Thanks again for your help

So was it doing the same thing before the throttle cable was replaced ?
Have you checked the needle in the slide isn't bent ?

Another thing to keep in mind is quite often the idle speed will go up a bit after they have been ridden from what it was before riding. Also when you first start them the clutch is basically cold but heats up a lot during riding (I've seen them smoking quite badly). It may be an idea to take the clutch bell housing off and check the condition of the clutch. Check it still has friction material on the three shoes and that the springs on the shoes aren't broken and the clutch itself looks intact and not damaged.

MarCon

Latest posts

Back