help troubleshoot 1982 Suzuki DS80 ignition problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I got a 82 DS80 for the grandson. Chopped it and powdercoated the whole bike. It had good compression and looked complete, so we just built it. Finished it all up., check for spark. NONE.

This is what I have done as far as tests. Checked for spark at plug, with hand grounded to head and turning motor over with a drill. VERY VERY faint shock

Dug up 3 more coils. Same thing.

Ordered a brand new high tension coil, cleaned off the area where the new coil mounts and installed it. No shock at all.

Removed rotor, has strong magnetic field. Checked points, Points had no continuity, even after sanding. Bought a new set of points, cleaned them, checked for continuity before installing. Installed and gapped them and made sure all 3 of teh insulating washers were where they were supposed to be on the points..No spark.

Removed mag and removed wire that goes from the primary coil and condenser and checked that wire from coil to coil for any bare spots or shorting. Nothing, wiring looks new. Checked the wire with a 6 volt battery, Wire showed same voltage that was in battery.

Removed plug and turned the motor over (850 rpm with a drill ) and turned the head light on. It works but was dim, I am sure because it was turning over so slowly . Checked the out put of the head light wire with a AC meter. Puts out about 5 volts at 850 rpm. Check the primary coil with meter, ZERO out put. Figured it had to be the primary coil

It took a while but I finally found a NOS Suzuki primary coil in ISRAEL !!!! It came in and we put it on the bike today. This coil puts out 7 volts at 850 rpm. The old one put out ZERO, so I thought that we had it licked. Buttoned everything back up. ZERO spark or shock. Pulled the spark plug cap off the end of the wire to see if maybe the cap was bad on the new coil, but no hint of shock with the bare spark plug wire either.

New high tension coil. NOS primary coil, new points, good wire from points to hi tension coil, good grounds. Any one got a clue?

The only item I didn't replace with new is the condenser. Is it possible that if the condenser was shot, I would get ZERO spark?

Welcome to Minirider's

Make sure you drop in and say hello in our Introduce Yourself thread.

Yes a faulty condenser will give you a weak spark,
it is one of the most overlooked part's of an ignition system

IMG_2683_zps6efe446a.jpg

Make sure the lead from the condenser isn't touching a grounded point, eg the points' mounting post.

The replacement coil was that a genuine Suzuki part ? part # 33410-43010
I know the later Suzuki DS80's need a special coil to run.

$_35.JPG

Latest posts

Back