Help with RC needed

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniFighter

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Well yesterday i took the family to Syd for a drive, lunch and stopped at a market at st ives for a sticky beek.

Was a nice day and a great little market. We happened to watch the guys (young to senior cits) racing rc on there awesome track..

My young fella (6) loved it so much he asked if he could do it...so here i am now looking for advice on a good beginners buggy, electric something decent with the opportunity to later build on once experience is there. Pref something RTR possibly a complete package with remote etc

also advice on anything else needed to get him into this sport.

Ive had a few nitros so i have a fair idea on things, but if anyone has some electric experience..please, feel free to point me in the right direction..

Cheers,

Wayne

a hpi firestorm i think are like 300 and there heaps quick

wait just realised the kid is 6 hmmm

RCHobbies.com.au

that should be ok for him but i think any faster and will kill it

Last edited:
thanks...that is what i was just looking at.

Seems a decent truck, good price etc..i need something half decent for him cause if he does like it (which i think he will) i dont wanna have to turn around in 3 months and buy something faster for him.

anyone know anything about clubs etc?

um i know theres not many around? lol

um i think there is an off road club in sydney somewhere

but thats a bit of a hike for you every time

Firestorm is a 2wd and will be harder for the young bloke to control. I got a gv as my
first electric buggy and it was a solid car. But if you want something indestructible get a hpi e-savage.

hey mate,
ive been into rc cars for yonks and ive owned hpi, traxxas and losi cars and this is my opinion, but i highly recommend traxxas over the other 2 brands.

my main car is a traxxas e revo and it is incredible. i havnt broken anything on it and i run it extremely hard. im trying to sell my modified savage x ss as the savage has absolutely nothing on a revo (i have owned a revo 3.3 also which demolished the savage).

i recommend a traxxes BRUSHED revo for your youngster as they are an amazing car, very strong and quick enough to satisfy most people. it also has incredible aftermarket support with parts being incredibly easy to get hold of. if your son loves it then you can start upgrading it to brushless spec and beyond.

look at RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes - A Main Hobbies at electric cars. as much as i support australian business, its just so much cheaper to bring rc gear in from overseas.

ill gladly answer any questions that you may have.
cheers

Id suggest getting onto Ausrc.com, HEAPS of AUSSIE members, they hold regular race days/general meets.

What kind of price range are you looking at? 99% of the controls on the market now have numerous settings, this allows dad to have a 'fast' setup, and 6 year old to have a 'tame' setup.. which can then be slowly adjusted as he gets better!

The tamiya range of RTR(XTB's) are good value for $! you cant go past the BIG names in RC.. Tamiya, HPI, Losi etc
The major advantage of sticking to a name brand is the spare parts, for when something DOES break, you know the majority of hobby shops will have the bit you need in stock.. although often costly(as the hobby is)

I just dropped a brushless motor into my RC bike, HOLY CRAP! IT HAMMERS NOW!!

best tips:
Get onto Ausrc.com
research what product fits your needs, and see what the moajority of guys add as an instant hopup.
Things like alloy driveshafts, alloy knuckles etc are often the first things.
IF you decide to go RTR, get extra batteries
If you decide to build it yourself, get brushless and ESC with low power cutoff, and li-po's and allow for a GOOD li-po charger and read up on caring for li-po batteries!

the Mo3(these are a front wheel drive-just like the 1:1!) range of tamiya is GREAT fun, the most common shell being the mini cooper, which looks so cute! The cooper shell also tends to right itself after a bingle, so no having to be run onto the trak to flip cars!

What ever model you decide on, research it PRIOR to purchase, there is NOTHING worse than buying something, ony to find out parts have been discontinued, or other model parts will fit with modificaton.

Most of all.. Have fun and keep us updated to what you decide!

If I was looking at a RTR id go this..
RCHobbies.com.au
led%20rx7.jpg

but I want one of these!
axial-scx10-honcho-side-view.jpg

also check out our ''So...your into RC...'' thread.. should be under 'other hobbies'

Thanks for the feedback guys..

Sikko/Foolsp33d..i been on this ALL day and (atm) decided to go with the HPI E Firestorm..
Good $$ half decent looking and seems to be plenty of hop-up parts avail..

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Wayne

2wd drive truggies have nothing on 4wd buggies for handling, I would be considering a 4wd buggy personally.. But that's just my opinion..

Fools, I have my tt01d for sale if you are keen, I will give it to you cheap too :thumbup:

2wd drive truggies have nothing on 4wd buggies for handling, I would be considering a 4wd buggy personally.. But that's just my opinion..

Fools, I have my tt01d for sale if you are keen, I will give it to you cheap too :thumbup:

yeah im sure... but the price jumps a bit from what ive seen from 2 to 4wd?

No, not really.. You can pick up a good 4wd buggy for less than 400 bucks.. Second hand is the way to go... RC resale value is worse than pit bikes resale value...

brushless slash all the way. best electric car ive owned. has all the power youll ever need and 4wd to smash. very simple car to work on as well.

Baja 5t or 5b (Rovan) there about 600 for a base model with a 26cc engine they are 100% compatible with hpi, hop-ups galore majority of them now come with a 2.4ghz radio system, no expensive batteries needed or nitro fuel, just and two stroke with petrol (same as your blower or whipper snipper) the car it self comes with a hump pack which is rechargeable which powers all off your onboard electronics, solid basher will last a long time if maintained and looked after

1/5 Buggy Predator RC V1 Rovan 26cc Moto X Wheels | eBay

brushless slash all the way. best electric car ive owned. has all the power youll ever need and 4wd to smash. very simple car to work on as well.

Baja 5t or 5b (Rovan) there about 600 for a base model with a 26cc engine they are 100% compatible with hpi, hop-ups galore majority of them now come with a 2.4ghz radio system, no expensive batteries needed or nitro fuel, just and two stroke with petrol (same as your blower or whipper snipper) the car it self comes with a hump pack which is rechargeable which powers all off your onboard electronics, solid basher will last a long time if maintained and looked after

1/5 Buggy Predator RC V1 Rovan 26cc Moto X Wheels | eBay

Thanks boys, but the threads almost a yr old. Cars have been sorted.

Or if your interested I have a thunder tiger s3 which I have converted to brushless, I will be able let this go as a complete rye however it has your general wear and tear from bashing!

I use to race offroad electric modified truck and buggy. It depends on if you little fella wants a truck or buggy. Buggys are more popular in racing. Id go with a team associated or even the top notch dura trax.

I use to race offroad electric modified truck and buggy. It depends on if you little fella wants a truck or buggy. Buggys are more popular in racing. Id go with a team associated or even the top notch dura trax.

We got a couple of TLR Short course trucks.

Oh yeah, i didnt realise the thread was over a near old lol.

Latest posts

Back