high rev CDI on crf50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesyo7

Reaction score
i just saw on facebook some guy selling a high rev CDI for crf50.
i jsut wanted to get an expert opinion about the damage this might cause? is it just generally ****house for your motor?
Honda would put governor's on for a reason, surely it'd do more harm then good. did i just answer my own question. im curious about the whole aspect of it

do you have a link?

i make my own cdi's, they give out about 3 times the spark of a chinese little black box, lol

so they restrict them for help younger riders, not to ruin the motor.. interesting.

so they restrict them for help younger riders, not to ruin the motor.. interesting.

Stock Honda CDI limits rpms to about 9500 , most aftermarket CDIs remove this but it's all good just gives you more speed in the top end.

Stick a big bore behind it and you'll start needing better clutch housing as the stock ones have been know to fail above 10000rpm

I haven't seen a Honda CDI with a rev limiter yet on a 50 or 70. I've taken the OEM one past 12k RPM.

Anyway...a "racing" CDI on a stocker make no difference whats however ...usefull as a hole in the head

quick google search revealed over 11,000 results that disagree with you.
even takegawa, tbolt, bbr, big gun etc etc
BBR Rev Box - Japan Minis XR/CRF50-150R, DRZ110, KLX110-140, TT-R 50-125 - CRF50 Z50 & XR50 - Electrical - 451-HXR-5001 - TBolt USA, LLC

Yup, and I can find a crap ton of posts and sites discussing other urban myths as reality too! At least here in the states I've never seen evidence of the rev limiter in a 70 CDI on the dyno.

(I have however seen a power LOSS from the Big Gun CDI, blech.)

After digging through some old Planet Minis threads (Now that was a trip...) I can't dig up Cyclerider's awesome comparison of CDIs on a test engine showing almost no difference between most of them across the board on the dyno. He also verified that a stock CDI would happily run up past 12k RPM and commented on it in a few threads.

True Rev Box - Page 2

Bah, found the a thread with the dynos, images are dead.

Rev Boxes Do They Do Anything

The main thing noted was some CDIs are better at masking poor jetting than others. If the motor is jetted properly there wasn't much difference between them. Only one with a verifiable rev limiter was Tokyo Mods.

Edit: Found one of the dyno charts. Note, all the CDIs in this test are pulling to 12.5k RPM, including a bone stock CRF50 CDI...

20sac2c.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back