Honda CT110 Restoration

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this (or even the right forum) but I figured I'd post it up anyway.

Recently a mate and I each purchased a CT110 "Postie" bike, mine is a 1987 stock model, his is a 2005 with a Lifan 140cc engine in. Our aim is to restore the two bikes back to original (the exception being that Nick is keeping the 140 Lifan)

I'm a student and Nick works full time so the resto will be slow going but well get there. We are keeping track of progress on a blog

https://postiemortem.wordpress.com/

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, message us through the blog or leave a comment here.

Ben

I think the idea was to retard the spark timing when the switch was on in an attempt to combat kickback when you start her up, these lifans don't have a decomp can shaft. Putting it in an esky though?!?!? Then seeking it to him as "comes with a free esky" even if the toroid wasn't in there they drilled a dozen holes through for the wiring and the mounting bolts...

The Lifan 140 and 150 engine's have an anti-kickback mechanism in the head at the valve's and rocker arm.
But the timing leaves a bit to be desired.

You can solve the kick back problem by starting them just after tdc, push the kick lever down until it become hard, then leave a bit of pressure on it till the engine turns over that little bit more.
Kicking them over from there will stop 90% of kickback
Also fitting a better stator to it will help out a lot too
You can fit an Adjustable Timing stator kit off a Lifan 150 (Daytona 125 style), it does require patching in the new loom and cdi, and modifying the reg/rect wiring a little
or fit one of these stator's, this flywheel is quite light and helps the engine rev faster, and can run on a standard cdi loom setup.
and lastly you can buy a ignition retard kit through OORacing in UK, where you switch it over to retard when starting, then back to normal to ride it
retard/rpm limiter cdi- https://www.ooracing.com/store/cdi-...hable-rev-control-use-with-all-flywheels.html
and a complete setup too

And the other way around it you can grind back the tab on the flywheel to retard the timing, it reduces the initial and total timing, we have a thread here that it's documented in.
http://www.miniriders.com/motor-tutorials/28151-yx150-160-155z-top-end-build-up-magneto-mod.html

Post up some pics of your bike and build too

Cheers, Craig

I'll pass on your tip about starting up to Nick, wiring is all over the place at the moment so I don't think hes starting her up any time soon though, we've had a look at grinding the pick up (posted on another forum) and we'll probably go down that road if we need to.

I'll probably post a couple picks here when we get to fixing his wiring harness, I'm fine with the wiring diagram and I reckon we can do this no problem, but with the mess the previous owner left we might hit a couple snags.

I've got a few early pics of mine lower down on the blog, not much done yet but I'll be getting the engine out today with any luck.

Last edited:
The Lifan 140 and 150 engine's have an anti-kickback mechanism in the head at the valve's and rocker arm.

I thought there should have been so we popped off the cam chain cover, normally id expect it to have the centrifugal weight for the decomp mounted to the sprocket but no such luck.

Last edited:
No they don't have a decomp cam set up, it's an Anti Kick Back.
You need to take the head cover off the studs at the front to see it.
Here it is just above the top rocker arm

and just to the right of the rockers

and this is the notch on the cam that the mechanism stops against

camwithdecompressionbump.jpg

Yeah, they don't work too well though.

A lighter Outer Rotor Flywheel/Stator is the best thing for them, it help's to save your case's and gears.
I have seen 4x cracked r/h cases in the Lifan 140/150's so far, and a few clutch baskets missing gears,
as well as chipped kick start idler gear's, and broken gears behind the basket, all 'cause people don't start them just past tdc,

Thought I would post a quick update here in case anyone following us had missed it, late last week I made some big progress and got the engine out of the stock 87. I'll post a picture here soon, for now its on the blog.

Yeah this thread is a bit useless without any pics here.

This is how she started out

gZQ3BnT.jpg

and after a couple hours work

RrN7NFI.jpg

A little more had been done, the headlight, right hand switch block and grips are off now.

I'll post some of the in between photos during the day tomorrow, you guys can have a look at my rusty exhaust, and rusty heat shields, and rusty engine... and rusty everything. I'ts not acually that bad but shell need some work obviously.

https://postiemortem.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/stock-87-day-23/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back