housing in melbourne and surrounds.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy465

Reaction score
hey all.

possible job oppertunities have come up in melbourne.

I have been looking at areas to live, and proximity to shops, highways, schools, medical etc. it all looks good on the maps. but I thought I would ask the victorian compatiots,

where could you recommend?

my criteria are:
- family friendly
- not in the CBD
- easy access to arterial roads/highways.
- would prefer semi rural areas.

if you have a couple of suburbs that you could recomend it would be appreciated.

I want to get an idea before I approach a realestate agent, dont trust those guys as far as i can throw them.

thanks in advance.

depends how far from the cbd you like? im from sunbury post code is 3429 thats 45 mins from the cbd on weekends and an hour bussiness peak times..... its with in 30 mins drive from 3 or 4 tracks and 10 15 mins from state forrest trails.

i hear noble park is a nice family suburb

you heard wrong^^^^^^^

witch side of the city is wok going to be for ya westy that will dictate where ya go

will be able to help from there

the mrs would work in richmond. I will sell my body on any corner i find.

the mrs would work in richmond. I will sell my body on any corner i find.

I'm sure Nth Richmond will offer you a corner ;)

Now, down to business, I understand you might not want to post this in a public forum so feel free to PM me.

1. What are you looking to spend on rent?

2. Do you need a garage, 2 bedroom, or 3, house or apartment etc... That will largely dictate where you can live.

3. What sort of commute time is your missus happy with?

The Eastern suburbs (by and large) are more expensive than the West, the inner suburbs will bend you over. In saying that, it might be worth your while looking somewhere in the inner NE. If you're after semi-rural though, it will be at least a 1 hour commute to Richmond from the outer North.

Give me a slightly better idea of what your thinking and I can pump out a suggestion or ten...

1. would be looking to buy. or dont people buy in melbourne? rent would be subsidized, so not a massive issue.

2. 2 car garage, house, we got 2 dogs.

3. 45mins max. i guess I am used to perth, where you can go from just about fully rural, to the cbd in 25-30 mins.

krazed. you da man.

i see melton, and sunbury, not rural, but not far away from it. (according to google maps) they are in the west but.

yes didnt see you wanted to be close to richmond couldnt help you there

wallan,mernda,whittlesea,south morang,lorima are all new housing area's.close to hwy's and all about 45mins from city.i live in wallan and takes me about 45mins to get into the city with good traffic.

hey westy i was born and lived in Richmond my hole life and i think its a pretty good place to live. One of the best things about it is your close to the footy :D but on the down side every time i start my pit bike the people next door start getting angry :p but yea good luck with it mate

haha mr plow, you gonna send me to the ghetto? they wouldnt know what hit em when we arrived.

I would recommend berwick,
I have lived all around melbourne and it is super family friendly.
45 miniutes to the cbd. Pricing isnt to bad their are surrounding suburbs which are next door to berwick which can also be cheaper. Such as narre warren south (which as actually named berwick springs). has several good schools local from decent public to very high standard private schools.
Also several local shops then a big shopping centre called fountaingate which isnt to bad.

Go down the main street and berwick and turn off to the highway and your on it the whole way to the city. :)

If you want it to be a little more quiet i know a few more places, if you want more info just let me know mate glad to help.

You can look it up on google, but for example next door is a real nice 4-5 bedroom house really nice inside big house to 2 story, 2 car garage which leads out to a big shed out the back selling for $550,000 not sure on what your budget is though.

Is your missus in the defence force?

Last edited:
1. would be looking to buy. or dont people buy in melbourne? rent would be subsidized, so not a massive issue.

2. 2 car garage, house, we got 2 dogs.

3. 45mins max. i guess I am used to perth, where you can go from just about fully rural, to the cbd in 25-30 mins.

krazed. you da man.

i see melton, and sunbury, not rural, but not far away from it. (according to google maps) they are in the west but.

I should remember when I reply to something like this and not just wander off to watch TV :p

Melton and Sunbury aren't too bad for something ruralish, but you'd be pushing the 45min commute out the window... Getting from E to W and vice versa adds time like nothing else. Both of them are on V-line trains too, you'll be looking at a minimum of three trains to get to Richmond (V-line to regular line, regular line to city, city to Richmond), I'd imagine something like 1.5hrs by train.

If you are going to drive, anything other than the toll way will take a similar time with traffic. The toll way won't even save you much, the Westgate bridge is a b!tch.

Heading North might not be a bad option, but once again, getting anything even remotely rural will be near impossible within a 45min commute. I actually used to live in Bundoora and commute to North Richmond on a motorbike... Even on the bike it would take me half an hour, so to get into anything rural will be severely pushing it (and near no train line).

Eastside your best bet might be to look where the longer metropolitan train lines terminate (Lilydale, Cranbourne)... Both of them will get you to Richmond within 45min (just). Not much else to recommend them, but you're the one that wants to live in rural Melbourne (I'm not convinced that such a place exists) :boink:

Perth is just a big country town... The whole place is rural ;)

(Don't expect an early reply to this thread tomorrow, in case the late post wasn't a give away, I'm not an early riser (at least in no way which is helpful to you...).

Last edited:
haha mr plow, you gonna send me to the ghetto? they wouldnt know what hit em when we arrived.

haha yeah but in all seriousness i would recommend blackburn. would be the ideal location for you.
housing is reletively cheap, lots of families and retiries, about 25min from the city, near the eastern fwy so you can get most places easily...
i've lived in a few suburbs so i know the area quite well, hawthorn, south yarra, camberwell, richmond and parkville.

my favourite area of melb would have to be camberwell, quiet area, good shops, mainly families, get to see geffrey rush at the supermarket every now an then, but houses are $$

trains to richmond run from

frankston........ dont got there bad train line
cranbourne........ ok but the danenong train line is a lil iffy outter cranbourne so clyde\devon meadows= bigger dollars but land bout 1hour or more from the city
pakenham...... ok little big country train on the dande line again bout 1hr 15mins to richmond in peak
mount waverly / glen waverley...... good trains and still some lager blocks around housing 450-800K bout 30-40mins in peak to richmond
ringwood....... ok train as far as i know bout 1hr - 45mins to the city train goes out to lilydale which is rural as you will get in melbs

This is just eastern side it's what i know north east is ok i think anywhere along a trainline.

mount waverly / glen waverley...... good trains and still some lager blocks around housing 450-800K bout 30-40mins in peak to richmond
ringwood....... ok train as far as i know bout 1hr - 45mins to the city train goes out to lilydale which is rural as you will get in melbs

Ahh Mount Waverly and Glen Waverly would be more like this: 650,000 to 1.5 million. It's a very sought after area. You would get a shack for 650 too.

Ringwood is a goer. On east link it's 30 mins to the city. Trains are good as well.

That's where I will be looking when I buy a house. Ringwood North is wicked.

The best suburb I have found and I have lived all sides of the city is Doncaster. 20 mins to the city, 5 mins and I'm in complete bush at Warandyte.

But the house prices are really crazy there. Would need a million or so to get something decent.

Ahh Mount Waverly and Glen Waverly would be more like this: 650,000 to 1.5 million. It's a very sought after area. You would get a shack for 650 too.

Ringwood is a goer. On east link it's 30 mins to the city. Trains are good as well.

That's where I will be looking when I buy a house. Ringwood North is wicked.

The best suburb I have found and I have lived all sides of the city is Doncaster. 20 mins to the city, 5 mins and I'm in complete bush at Warandyte.

But the house prices are really crazy there. Would need a million or so to get something decent.

blackburn is pretty much right next to doncaster, have a look

Latest posts

Back