how do i stop this?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colta51

Reaction score
hey gus and gals iv just got my self a atomik 150cc pit bike(my first) and im told its had sum work done on it (but not sure wat?) but every time i try to start it the kik starter kiks back real hard and cood do sum serious leg damage if you not carfull.. so im wondering is there sumthing i can do to stop this or is it coz of sum sort of engine mod thats been done? cheers..

pretty common problem, mostly caused from kicking like a girl and giving it too much throttle..

9 times out of ten it will not need any throttle to start and if it does it only needs to be held right on the start of the throttle.. choke-kick-start..

ie; turn the throttle till you take up the cable slack then kick it..

changing the ignition to a lifan 150 outer rotor kit can reduce this problem too

thanks for the reply.. i am probly just not kiking hard anuff and giving to much throttle.. lol cheers!

arggghhhhh this is just a pain in the a$$!
it kiks back real bad...even with no throttle! its to the point that iv it cant be stopt im getting rid of my bike!

:microwave:

if its got an inner rotor kit installed on it replace it with a standard magneto setup.. kick back should be pretty much gone..

well i hope so coz i like this bike but its not worth breaking a leg over! lol
i will hav to read up about these iner and outer rotor kits and that coz i maninly work on cars..

kick back is usually cause by advance in the timing there is a slight possibility the timing is a tooth or a 2 wrong
for example my dads old road bike has a advance timing feature if you try to start it when advance is on it kicks back like hell when it's off it wont kick back
and i have tried this with an old engine i have.
i put the timing ahead a couple of teeth and nearly every kick it kicked back so it could be that but I'm not sure

yeah TDR is right, and also might want to read about checking your valve timing, cause I know I had this exact problem and sorted it out by doing my valve timing and kicking at the right time :)

i was thinking it cood timing problem of sumsort..! might hav to sus it out a bit futher..
but as i said im more used to working on old cars so it might take me a wile?

you no wat now i think of it it has back fired out the carbs once b4 so it must be valve or ignition timing! well fingers crosst i can figure it out. thank you all for yore help!

just watch when these engine kick back real hard they can jump the kick starter teeth and split the right side centre case, which is a pain to fix, try pushing the kick start to a point where you can feel the compression kick in then give it a major stomp. this should over come the kickback too.

you no wat now i think of it it has back fired out the carbs once b4 so it must be valve or ignition timing! well fingers crosst i can figure it out. thank you all for yore help!

kick back is exactly that mate.. it tries to turn the engine backwards because its firing way too early and if fitted with an irk there is no flywheel weight keep it turning..

if it has an irk then you could also try and retard the pick up sensor a heap..

well i just did the valve timing as show in a nuther thred and i allso rebuilt the carby (had the wrong screws holding on the bole and needed clean!) and fitted a MSD lead and new plug and it fired up third kik wiv no choke and NO KIK BACK AT ALL! so i ran it for a wile gave it a tune wen warmd up and now it starts no worys at all!
very happy wiv all the help from you guys thanks a heap..

or just do top dead centre like a normal person wold do lol yeah do top dead centre and it should start no worrys

be carful you dnt do a kick start gear trust me i have done it b4 and its nt fun replacing it

Latest posts

Back