How fast does your mini dirt bike go?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysons_201

Reaction score
Had my MSO up beside a 400cc bike with speedo the other day and it pulled 78km/h along a gravel road.
I have the standard sprockets which are 14t front and 37t back. (not too sure about front sprocket size, correct me if im wrong).

hey mate ive had my bike 4th gear maxed out @ 92 KM/H beside a KLX250 on road..

i like 2 do it in the rain at nite....its more exciting...

Just bought a 17t front sprocket and wondering what the speed gain would be over the 14t?

hi sorry to side track you question but does your mso have Lifan 125 and are the sprockets 428 pitch with 20mm front sprocket shaft if it is where did you get 17 tooth sprocket from,as i have searched every where for one?

On my stock thumpstar with 12" back i think it goes around 90km/h can any one varify that?

tysons_201 said:
Just bought a 17t front sprocket and wondering what the speed gain would be over the 14t?

Your gonna be way tall dude! Most of the guys running 17/37 have a 10" rear wheel. With a 12" rear I would only run that gearing with a big hp motor on a very fast motard track. You may not have the power in a stock motor to pull max rpm in fourth, but you'll still be doin 100k's +....get a hold of a gps and measure her, I'd be interested to see what she'll do!

i was going to get a 17 front, but i was thinking the same thing... might be a bit much. Ill probably go with the 16.

So my setup will be 16T front -- 37T rear on 12"rim

My brother in law tried 16/39 last weekend and didn't get out of second gear more than twice on our oval flat track. Needless to say he got smoked all day.

yeah doesnt worry me was only $15 from carter race engines and i emailed the guy and he reckons it will fit. If i dont get enough down low with this setup ill get a 16 but i just wanted to max out the ratio to see what i could pull.
Would be scary doin 100km+ on one of these things so i wanna give it a go.

Oh also will be getting a 131cc big bore high compression kit soon with performance cam :)

do you have a contact number or web site address for carter race engines?

yeah was thinking about a 15t but 1 tooth wouldnt make that much difference would it? I found 1st gear to be absolutely useless with the stock 14:37 gearing but 2nd and 3rd were nice which both lifted the front quite easy.
Once i get a bit of headwork done i think it should be alright with maxed out gearing as i need a bit of top speed as i do alot of cruising along the murray river:)

that 1 tooth on the front will make a difference. Its nearly like going down three on the back.

I'm now running a 16 front and 41 rear as my standard ratio. It is slightly taller than the stock ratio but allows me to easily shorten right up for tight tracks or go even taller with the 17 front if I want. I keep 14,15,16,17 tooth sprockets for the front and use joining sections of chain to quickly alter the ratio for dif conditions. That way my rear alighnment always stays good and also I like to always run the full wheelbase. I also have the 39 and 37 rear sprockets if I want to get spot on for a particular track. The advantage of the 16/41 starting point is that it also lifts your chain off the swinger top and bottom, and reduces a lot of wear and friction lost here.

hey mack, does your lifan run a 20mm output shaft opposed to 16mm. If you do where did you get your 16 and 17 as mine has bigger hole in center of front sprocket than say dukar or thumpstar(16mm).

yes it's 20mm. I use quality japanese sprockets that just need the splines honed a little for a perfect fit. The splines are a little deeper, but once honed fit better than a stock one. Just take your retaining plate into a few of your local shops. You can get them off ebay or fifty stores as well.

Soon see how the 17:37 goes when i get it :)
Just wanna see how fast i can pull :).
Maybe go for a mini dirt bike speed record :p
lol

Latest posts

Back