how to: ignition key for starting bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshhhh

Reaction score
seen a couple of bikes forsale with a key that is needed in order to start the bike. the key does not start the bike but is needed in order to start the bike (but you guys probably already knew that)

so my question is...does anyone know where you can buy these gizmo's to attach to a bike? or how to make a homemade one?

the function might have some slight wank factor but when you live near mt duritt, a simple bike lock dosnt do much

any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.

e.g. http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-classifieds/29327-atomik-moto-x-125cc.html

the 4th picture is where you can see the key

thanks

EDIT: found this but where does it go and how does it work? sorry for the noob questions
IGNITION KEY, PIT BIKE,DHZ, MSO, KUSTOM MINIS - eBay, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Aug-10 20:03:32 AEST)

Last edited:
well the standard way that most pit bikes connect a key isnt really a security feature as you can just disconnect the plugs and the bike will run..

the only way you could make it work the way you want is to custom wire it..
shouldnt be hard..you just need to find which wire to use for the circuit..one that doesnt carry voltage

A key wont do anything for security because after all it is a pit bike and just about anyone can easily pick it up to throw it in a ute/van or even a sedan.

Ignition Switch Key 50cc 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike on eBay!

Key Switch Ignition Honda JD110 ATV Quad Moped Pit Bike: eBay Motors (item 180523034346 end time Aug-19-10 04:01:15 PDT)

they are easily installed if you have the right electrical knowledge.... it just another kill switch, and yes you can just disconnect the plug and kick it.....

however.... If you hide the wiring good enough.... may spare enough time to kick some arse before they get it started LOL !!!

I used to have key ignition and well... it broke because the bastages put it where my forks naturally pivot to and i crashed and the forks broke the ignition.... I really dont see a point in having a key on it unless your trying to make it legal or well.... i guess if it makes you feel safer?

and for your question....

the ignitions usually need a certain female plug that you have to wire into your current harness and its not hard if you are going to do it like a secondary kill... thats how my bike was setup.... key was 2nd kill switch

Last edited:
i wouldnt worry about it mate...first thing i done (after tearing graphics off) was pull the ignition out..

not everyone knows how useless these keys are, if someone is thinking of stealing your bike they might see that a key is needed and simply be turned off stealing the bike for fear of not being able to start it.

i had a petrol scooter that i used to ride everywhere, and my mates would always start it and take it for a ride when i wasnt looking so i installed a key and put an end to all that, because people that are not mechanically or electrically knowledgeable wont understand how simple it is to override the key ignition

Latest posts

Back