how to remove brake disc bolts?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xLOCOx

Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
gday, guys and girls.
im trying for the life of me to remove the bolts out of the old set of hubs, i cant seem to crack the bolts, i dont want to snap my allen key, or damadge the bolt heads them selves.... any ideas?

Soak them in penetrating lube then use like a extension on your Allen keys and it should crack.
If not dont be a little b**** and use some muscle :p

I like to use a allen socket, with a 1/2 inch ratchet/breaker bar.. will almost certainly get it off..
10423d1405651086-how-remove-brake-disc-bolts-1009812_10200322283155949_1243640478_n-jpg

Attachments

• 1009812_10200322283155949_1243640478_n.jpg
    1009812_10200322283155949_1243640478_n.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 25
Or heat the hub (maybe even a blue lighter or a normal lighter if you dont mind cleaning the hub afterward)
a nice smack with a hammer to will help relieve the stress (and the stress in the bolt)

Oh no.......Its easy as mate! Get some torx wrenches or bits.....drill the bolt out big enough to hammer a big torx bit in, hammer that sucker in and turn the bolt out, Ive had to do this on like 3 wheels works a treat!! Helps to drench things in fish oil based spray first too!! I tried a few methods and this work best as the bolts are so mild that even welding stuff to them didnt work....go the torx bits

Info from link below

Notes on using socket drive Torx bits:

I always have a set of torx bits in my tool box of hex head bolt troubles (see picture above). You need to find a torx bit slightly larger than the bolt head size. Then you can drive the bit into the head of the bolt with a hammer for a super tight fit. This may require that you modify the torx bit on a grinder. You can grind the sides off slightly or as in the picture below, you can grind off the tip to get the bit to fit tightly in the damaged bolt head. This really works. I love my torx!

Bottom photo here!!

https://mercedessource.com/problems/engine/removing-rounded-out-or-damaged-hex-head-bolts

Chine run a special loctite in their disc bolts I've found, the only way to get them out hassle free is to heat them up to loosen the gel type stuff they use. You'll see it, it should be a red colour iirc.

Like the other boys said, either heat it or freeze the bolt which shrinks it a bit.

your new set of Allen Keys would have a Guaranty too.
sometimes they use Blue Loctite as well.

you can try nipping them up a bit too to help break the seal, heat will work most of the time
if you don't have one Supercheap Auto sell this little torch for $6, grab a refill for it too, it'll come in handy
SCA Welding - Gas Torch, Pencil - Supercheap Auto Australia

i didnt have any heat when i took mine off the yxf hubs to go on the 160, so i just cut a cross into the head with my grinder, nice big flat head screwdriver and hammer, and an hour of cursing how slow it was but i got all 8 bolts out in the end ;)

Use torx bits....honestly after the one that got stuck at Craigs place 3hrs of messing around later.....Next wheel I did two came out with my good allen keys one came out with a set of multigrips(the good locking ones) and one came out with the torx bit.....so the second time I did a wheel it took me about 20mins....not 3hrs :thumbup: I couldnt recommend torx drivers enough for this kinda job!!!

one more thing.... any idea how long and what size engine mounting bolts are for the 160's?
cheers

top bolt is an M8x1.25mm pitch 115mm long, the rear one is M8x1.25mm pitch 100mm long
are you getting some decent bolts for it ?
for the longer ones, Titanium bolts are about $16ea
316 Stainless socket head are about $12.60ea

Chine run a special loctite in their disc bolts I've found, the only way to get them out hassle free is to heat them up to loosen the gel type stuff they use. You'll see it, it should be a red colour iirc.

Yep and guess what they call there Loctite........gluewater...I **** you not.

Latest posts

Back