How to Repack an Exhaust

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firsttimer

Reaction score
ok boys this is my first tut so go easy on me

today i was in the shed and i decided it was time to shut my pitty up so i repacked the muffler and this is how i did it

what you need: exhaust
drill
pop rivets (mine were 5.0 i think)
pop rivet gun
steel wool or fiber glass packing
common sense and patience

Time ; took me bout 30 mins but if its your first allow an hour

ok lets get started

step 1 :
get your muffler off your bike
baktogetger.jpg

Step 2 ; drill out the rivets , work in a cross pattern and don't use a big drill bit
or else you will stuff the can
Drilled.jpg

Step 3 : pull off the end cap , it may need a little twist (be gentle ) . As you can see it wasn't too bad
open.jpg

Step 4: pull out the packing (or whats left) and throw it away make sure you keep the core . this is what you should have left (the can, core and end cap)
opennempty.jpg

i have gone over the pic limit it will continue below

Last edited:
Step 5: grab your packing material and wrap it around the core make sure its not to tight but it will still fit back in to the can (this is what i used )
thestuff.jpg

Step 6 : put it all back into the can and make sure the core is in the correct spot , it should sit nicely into its grove at the bottom and make sure its centered
fullwithsteel.jpg

Step 7 place the end cap back on and line up the holes and pop rivet it back together using the biggest rivets that you can fit in the whole to ensure a good Finish
baktogetger.jpg

step 8: place muffler back onto bike and make sure everything is good and tight then start it and listen to the sweet sound of a freshly packed exhaust

this is what i used to pack it with, 70 cents each
thestuffinapak.jpg

thanx for viewing my tut and i hope it helps you in sum way
cheers , firsttimer aka Toby

Last edited:
jesus christ it looks like there are enough packets of scourers on the ground to pack 100 exhausts lol....

Last edited:
Never seen or heard of using steel wool???? I just use housing housing insulation.

yer aye i didnt know how many i would need so i got a few extra lol cheers

house insulation works but it dznt last very long staintune use the same stuff as this and it neva needs to be replaced lol

Last edited:
bloody top work mate, well done.
this will help alot of people and i dont think anyone has done a thread on packing or if they have, its no where near as good as this.
two thumbs up

lol u did a good job mate i might even do that 2 mine soon ill ttyl on msn

great tutorial mate, do u know how many scourers u used in the end? jast so i know how many to buy and also, will this make the bike quieter (i heard steel wool does that) and also, does it change the performance in any way?

cheere andrew

hey mate i used around 10 paks i think there only 70 cents a pak so i got plenty of extra lol i didnt realy note a difference in power but i only had my yard to play in and it is about the same loudness as b4 but its alot better sound, deeper and meaner lol and the best part isthat you never have to pack it again thats y i used it and its mega cheap cheers for the comments ppl

Have u done this before? The reason I ask is because I have heard that steel wool burns up very quickly and before long your exhaust will have no packing at all :confused:

i think that only happens when people just stick it straight down the muffler

yer mate i paked a mates mufler with it b4 and it lasts foreva if u do it right and staintune use the same stuff but u have to use STAINLESS steel wool or else it would rust lol

Theres a difference between "steel wool" and what he used as he used steel scourers. steel wools that real thing stuff which does burn easily. Me thinks.

Just wondering if anyones got ideas on that innertube/mesh stuff as mine came with nothing, just a hollow muffler. cheers chris

any ideas on how to get out an allen key bolt that has been rounded off by some china man when he over tightened the bolt? its the last bolt thats holding my exhaust cap on!

i was thinking of just cutting a slit in it and using a screwdriver and then replacing all the bolts with new ones. any other ideas?

Yup.. just drill it out bro :)
All my rivets fell out after about an hours ride. So i just put brand new 6mm bolts in the holes. havenmt had a prob since.

ok ill get the new bolts tomoro, swap them over and hopefully repac it at the same time

does any1 know what the existing packing is in the 140S's is, im not sure because i havnt been able to get the cap off yet, and u cant c much with it on!

Latest posts

Back