How to Repack an Exhaust

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, but my geuss would be Fibrous wool trype stuff, like rockwool or house insulation.

i had a look with a light and all u can c is a fine mesh (like fly wire) in a cone shape funneling away from the hole at the end

well i got the tip off and its packed pretty muck the same as the 1 in the pic.
would it make a better sound than the stock 1 when its brand new?

another thing i just thought of is would the muffler get hotter with the steel wool packing?

also would it be possable to pull out the stock packing in 1 pice so i can just swap it back if it dosnt work out to well?

also would it be possable to pull out the stock packing in 1 pice so i can just swap it back if it dosnt work out to well?

yea its just a big roll thing...it will come out in a big peice...well mine did. :rolleyes:

and make sure u get stainless steel its way better than normal steel wool and it made my bike sound better lol

thanks heaps useful champ, just finished re-packing mine today! alot better note.

you guys could also try what i did, get ur hands on some more closed mesh or open mesh depending on what you want and roll it to the core size and slip it in. The stock core is about 60% open, i put in 75%-80% directional mesh which means because its more open it allows the sound to go into the packing more making the bike humm instead of bark, u can go the other way and put in a peice of tube with only a few holes drilled in it and she'll bark her guts out. Givce it a go if u can get ur hands on the mesh

asr

ASR Rider... where abouts did you buy the mesh stuff from? I spoke to the Atomik distributor in Ballarat and he wanted $20 for the mesh pipe bit... is thast about what you paid? I thought it was exhorberant.... but if thats the going rate i will buy it. Riley

it was free i build performance oilpans we use the mesh for the windage trays in them, umm the shit could be hard to get what do you wanna do make it quiet or loud??

If you want to make it quieter, pack it with the ss wool as people said (or scoures), then drill some more holes in the center piece. I get my bike in a week and a half and thats what i'll do.

If it doesnt work, ill try something else.

Well i have a PitPro 125, and as everyone with one of these will know, they dont come with any sort of exhaust packing... Just the outer muffler tube with two end caps. While it looks like a proper muffler one look inside and you see that there's nothing thats gonna "muffle" anything. Do I want it louder or quieter? Quieter for sure... I dont want it super quiet, but at the moment its loud as F.... I might just look into buying a whole new exhaust for it... one thats gonna last coz i've blown this current one appart twice now with 5 hours tops usage... pretty shit really... thanks for the reply mate.. :)

Hey ASR... I see yr in melbourne... do you know where yr work gets the mesh from? I was thinking i could contact them and see if hey have any offcuts.. Cheers Riley.

honestly now u've said what ur muffler looks like, just pack it with some scourers it will take 2 seconds better than hunting down mesh. but if u wanna do it we get it off, i think its The Locker Group or Locker Group, maybe google them, ask for Expanded Mesh, then u could quiery them on what % openess they have, memba more open quiter

hope i helped

DIY mate...

I dunno, kris cross some chicken wire or something.

Just think about it, its logic really. ;)

I ripped apart a spare exhaust cannon i had lying around that i was gonna put on my car. I have decided to use the mesh and packing from that, so hopefully it all works out well and i'll have an exhaust again :)

thanks heaps
this is use full :)

how did it go fiddybasher?

What's the best stuff for the most silent muffler possible

(for a motovert muffler if it makes any difference)

Latest posts

Back