How to Repack an Exhaust

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
umm i fixed the links now they work.

i tried to pry that thing off, not the cone but the the other thing in pic 1 with a flat head and it didn't come off.. So.... a spark arestor?

thnx 4 the help

Last edited:
yep work now, umm the cone thing, is it like wire mesh? it looks like a spark arestor or something...
the flat thin i dun no how to remove, can you access the inside from the pipe side?

yeah its just a wire mesh, i dunno what it is because i dont know what a spark arrestor is.
Tomorrow i will drill out all the other rivets on the other side where the pipe is and see if i can get to the packing.

Thanks 4 ur help:)

But does any one know what that flat thing is???

great job on posting instructions.

I'm going to do the exhaust on my CR125 tomorrow. I actually bought some proper DEP exhaust packing from the bike shop and it only cost $17 and I've got enough to do at least two pit bike exhausts easily.

by the way i ended up putting it back together, i smashed the core and after my attempts to fix it it was still 2 small to fit the whole centre of the muffler.

I used about 3 and a half packs of the sccourers although i didnt fully fill the muffler up.
The muffler sounds a litle better like more fuller and crisp.

I didnt notice any performance changes aswell.

I reccomend this for beginers its easy 2 do.

dont pack too hard, it will make the muffler louder.

I did this to my gsxr when i made a shorty can, the more packing material in it, the louder it is cos it was so packed the noise bounced straigh thru rather than being absorbed.

i reckon a softly packed can with batts and half steel wool would be good

if you pack it soft it won't sound so good and the baffle rattles plus if the weld breaks on the baffle the hard pack will hold it in place, I packed mine hard as possible and I think it sounds pretty good

I've repacked the muffler on my RM125 before, I bought some packing though and it cost $10, it was made of this fibreglass mat, you can buy a fluffy one that's not bound together, probably works a little bit better but is harder to work with, the mat one is kind of like a thin pillow without a pillow case on. You just cut the packing to size then take your core out and wrap the packing around it, if you have an oval shaped muffler or something other than a circle you can just cut strips of packing and put them where it needs to take up the extra space as you wrap the main packing around, then you can get a little bit of wire and wrap it round the packing to hold it together when you put it back in the main tube, I didn't do that though I just held the end and helped it in by squeezing it. Gave the bike a nice sound, doesn't sound as tinny as before. Just need to do it to the pit-bike now coz it currently has no packing in it.

When you put the proper bought packing in don't squeeze it too tight, but also not too loose.

Last edited:
From my experience the fluffy packing is cheaper but doesnt last as long especially in the 2 smokes. i like the mat type lasts longer, and possible works better overtime :D

Latest posts

Back