how to tell difference between lifan 125 and 140 engines ??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crim 87

Reaction score
is there any way you can tell by looking at these 2 engines if they are different or is the 140 just the same engine bored out ???

They have different engine numbers. The 125 will probably be either 1P54FM1 or 1P52FM1 depending if its the big valve model, and the 140 should be 1P55fmj, I'm pretty sure

well i picked my new bike up today its a big foot 140 and on the side of the motor it says zongshen ?? dunno if its the same as lifan but runs pretty sweet and it goes pretty hard so im happy

mmm, the "52" number will have valve covers with a 17mm nut, and the 140 or "54" numbered will have two 8mm bolts per cap, signifying big valve head(unless its a ducar usually, in which case theres a triangle symbol on the top fin near the inlet port),

and! the four stud bolts, close examination will show that the "52" invariably has M6 studs, the "54" and 140 will have M8 studs. what else? a really close look will show that the top stud on the gearshift side is in a slightly different position between the "52" and the "54" and cylinders are dfferent lengths...usually.

it actually has a lil 140 marking on the engine it's a zongshen and i thought the pitpro's came with lifans should i be worried there all asian i guess ha ha

mmm, the "52" number will have valve covers with a 17mm nut, and the 140 or "54" numbered will have two 8mm bolts per cap, signifying big valve head(unless its a ducar usually, in which case theres a triangle symbol on the top fin near the inlet port),

and! the four stud bolts, close examination will show that the "52" invariably has M6 studs, the "54" and 140 will have M8 studs. what else? a really close look will show that the top stud on the gearshift side is in a slightly different position between the "52" and the "54" and cylinders are dfferent lengths...usually.

hey,, wats this triangle thing look like??? and were???

The black Lifan 125's (non start in gear) are 1P54FMI and they have a 54 mm bore x 54 mm stroke = 124 cc ... They have a horizontal finned iron cylinder and a 20 mm output shaft ...

I bought a DHZ bike which had a "138" in it ... The top end was the same as the Super "125" (vertical finned bare alloy cylinder stamped "138" and a bare alloy BVH ... The bottom end was Grey , non start in gear , and had a 20 mm output shaft ... It was a 1P54FMI ... I'd say it had a 54 mm bore x 54 mm stroke) ...

There's a Grey Lifan 125 start in gear "Super" motor which is 1P52FMI and it has a big valve head ... the bore is 52.4 mm and the stroke is 55.5 mm = 119.7 cc ... They have 124 cm3 cast on a vertical finned alloy cylinder ...

There's also a 127 and "138" that are both 1P54FMI (54 mm bore x 55.5 mm stroke = 127.1 cc) ... Both are exactly the same motors only one has a BS cc capacity stamped on the cylinder ... They look exactly the same as the "Super" 125 and some of them can be painted all black ...

LOL ... I found this old thread in a Google search ... I'm Xr Evo ... I ended up buying a Lifan "138" bore kit and it was only 54 mm not 57 mm as the guy I was referring too BS'd ... He disappeared off ebay for good ... The people who I bought the Super "125" off was dirtbikesonline ... and the guy selling the "138" bikes was dirtbikesandbitsonline ... one and the same seller ... They were trickle feeding the only kick in gear motors at the rate of one a week on ebay and goons were paying as high as $600 for them ... Then about 1 year later DHZ finally started selling them for around $380 and wiped him out ...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-408212.html

Here's a thread with a pic of a black "138" in it ... The Super 120's and "125" look exactly the same only they had no oil cooler ports on the cases ... you had to fit a cooler adaptor to the head ...

http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-chat/22979-138cc-lifan-oil-cooled.html

SO does that mean that 1P54FMI is better casue its got bigger valves??

They've ALL got big valves ... ie 27 mm inlet / 23 mm exhaust ... A 1P54FMI motor is supposed to have a 54 mm bore but some only have a 52 mm bore ...

The non kick in gear motors have a shorter 54 mm stroke as opposed to 55.5 mm in the start in gear Lifan 120 /"125" 1P52FMI motors and 59 mm in the Lifan 140/150's ... The "138's" have a 54 mm bore with a 55.5 mm stroke and are 1P54FMI but that's only the start in gear models ... they are only 127.1 cc ...

We had a DHZ bike that had a non start in gear 1P54FMI "138" engine in it but it more than likely had a 54 mm bore x 54 mm stroke ... meaning it was actually only 123 cc ... I sold it new and bought some true Lifan 140 start in gear engines ...

The non start in gear 1P54FMI's are known to be super reliable though ... and a ARE a good motor none the less ... They don't seem to suffer from kick starter gear or case breakages from kick back like the start in gear motors do ...

Latest posts

Back