How to tighten Chains

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wassaby

Reaction score
Hey i have a thumpstar 125cc big foot and was wondering how you tighten the chain?

i dont know about on a thumpstar but on my motovert i move my wheel back.

long story short, see the bolts in front of the red squares...turn them evenly (each side) which will push your wheel back and tighten the chain.

DSCF0578.jpg

in the process of tightening my chain right now... how tight?

your telling me you have never tightened your chain??

you should be able to slide 2 fingers under you should be able to grab the chain and be able to pull about 3-4cm up and down

and when you cant tighten it anymore take some links out

you should be able to slide 2 fingers under you should be able to grab the chain and be able to pull about 3-4cm up and down

and when you cant tighten it anymore take some links out

slide 2 fingers under where on the chain??

and the "when u cant tighten it anymore take some links out".. im assuming thats for if its as tight as you can make it and its still too loose??

:)

Normally, you undo the nut securing the back wheel. Then there are little nuts at the end of the swingarm to tighten to draw the wheel back. Then tighten the wheel nuts again. Try and do it equally on both sides so the wheel ends up properly aligned.
There should be half an inch of movement in the chain when you press it down.

Last edited:
Yeah,
tighten it so you have 40-50mm movement, approx 20mm up and down from centre when your full weight is on the bike.

Latest posts

Back