Husky boy kickstart oil seal leak.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman

Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone here can give me a bit of advice. I have been searching for ages and cannot find much info on replacing the seal from the kick start lever. It has been leaking a bit since we bought the bike, and after around 7 or 8 hours running after we bought it i replaced the gear box oil.( It was bought from a friend who had not used it for a few years other than kicking it over every month or so, and he did oil and coolant before he sold it to me).

It had hardly any fluid in it when i drained it, i didn't measure it but certainly less than .29 ltr. as per spec sheet. I replaced fluid and next ride the seal seemed to get much worse and leaked more than ever. we cut ride short and i have just got around to pulling the cover plate off ( and again not much oil left in there). The question i have is , if i take off the surclips and remove spring tension for kick start to access the seal will i need a tool to re tension and seat the spring?? I normally just pull things apart and try to work it out but i think a bit of knowledge may be a valuable thing here.

Thanks, Travis :beerglass:

welcome to Miniriders,

they run the Franco Morini type engines ?
i haven't had one apart, but i'd imagine they wouldn't be too hard to reassemble.

they run a specific clutch/gearbox oil in them don't they (clutch milk) did you use that ?

don't forget to drop in here and say hello too- http://www.miniriders.com/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

cheers, craig

Thx my67xr, I'm hoping to get a seal tomorrow and get it right for minikana on sunday. So i dont want to stuff it totally if can be avoided. I was concerned that i wont be able to tension that spring up again..see pics...any idea on how?
I used the same synth fluid that the guy before me was using and bloke at the shop reckoned the stuff is right for 50cc autos.

It should come apart ok, take note as you do it
Those pics could help you when reassembling it.

On the honda based pitbike engines i use a large screwdriver to tension the spring so it slips back in

Last edited:
It should come apart ok, take note as you do it
Those pics could help you when reassembling it.

On the honda based pitbike engines i use a large screwdriver to tension the spring so it slips back in

Yep it came apart and back together just fine.... and the 86 cent o ring from the ktm dealer down the road fit perfectly.... The old KTmM's and Huskys both used the Franco morini S5 or S6 engine... Yay. :banana:

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back