i need help with my pushy disc brakes!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unitrider08

Reaction score
ok well i washed my bike the other day after a sesh at ashmore and i sponged it all then rinsed it with water not pressure gurney or anything just a hose to get the soap and excess of then chamois'ed it and my hydraulic disc brakes now have barely any grab hat can i do to regain that lockup and the reaction??? all help appreciated!!!

doesnt need new pads? what about adjusting the brakes? You didnt happen to get any sort of oil or anything onto the discs by any chance

pads are like nearly new woodnt have a clue about adjusting them cos before i washed it they were absolutely unreal and oil or anything like that i coodnt have i only sponged the frame then rinsed it off with water so im absolutely lost :S thanks mate

residue from the soap?

What type of soap was it? I think that some soaps can leave an oily film when they dry.

i only used the soap on frame but it was like that wash and wax crap
and only a little bit of it only under the frame and near headstem where the mud was
it was more a waxy stuff it was really thick so it couldnt have ran down the frame ???? does any1 have any ideas on how to solve this??

just keep using them they might come good on there own..or if it was waxy soap then when you washed it off it would have run down or got splashed on the disc..

i only used the soap on frame but it was like that wash and wax crap
and only a little bit of it only under the frame and near headstem where the mud was
it was more a waxy stuff it was really thick so it couldnt have ran down the frame ???? does any1 have any ideas on how to solve this??

sounds like that might be your problem.

2 things you need to do:
1 - clean the disc to make sure you get any remaining wax stuff off it
2 - buy new brake pads

that should fix it ;)

just keep using them they might come good on there own..or if it was waxy soap then when you washed it off it would have run down or got splashed on the disc..

That's what I'm saying. You dont need to put the soap ON the brakes for it to get residue on them.

Ride the bike around for a while and if nothing changes then Go over the disks with some sort of grease or oil disperser (make sure it wont damage or effect your pads. Maybe another member can recommend something) And maybe go over the pads with a wet scour sponge and try to rub off the stuff.

OK if your a bit tight on money.. pull your disc's out.. soak them with metho for about 5 minutes, pull them out.. and burn them.. this will take all the crap out of them if the chemicals from the metho doent.. then procreed with an 60 grit sandpaper and sand them so they are like they were before..

i wd40'd my discs and calliper thinking it would help.. well nope it didnt.. you should really have any things in themm.. even all this like inox or wd40 the things you think help..
hope i helped mate..

or you can just buy two new pads and take the easy way out like a b!tch. haha.. nah whatevr suits mate..

cheers dhz140cc.

Last edited:
is it possible you have undone the bleed nipple and now need to rebleed them!?

what dhz said above is basically on the $.. id use something a bit easier than the metho.. degreaser or better still.. Brake cleaner!.. hit it with some sand paper as mentioned. pads.. well if they have been contaminated.. its to late.. if its jsut a bit of soap of something you MAY get away with lightly sanding them and giving the face a new surface.. but for $25, go get some fresh ones..

What brakes are you running!? I havnt seen ANY hydrolic brakes with an adjuster..

when you guys say to use sand paper are you sayin to use the paper on the disc or the pads? i thought disc were meant to be smooth?

the pad mate.. a disc cannot be perfectly smooth for 2 reasons..

(1) the rough surface on the grip is used to grab on to the disc

(2) if the pads are just flat surfaces they would ware alot easyer

fool you think degreaser.. because metho usually does the job for motos.. pushy's might be different thing, im not to switched on in that department.

haha good use of making up some words haha:D

i think sanding your actual disc wouldnt be a smart move.. would scratch them pretty badly..

use some car engine degreaser. you can get lower grade stuff so it wont wreck your brake pads.just spray it on the discs and then rinse off with water.hope it helps.

yea ashmore golddy thanks for all ur help guys i soaked it in metho then quickly burnt it then took them both to work and put them in the cnc lathe and took 0.01 mm off it and theyre perfect cheers for all the tips and i hope this can all help ppl in the future....i know ill be using the thread again

and dhz140 your right about sanding them with a coarse paper the disc and pads both need a fine grit to them to catch my boss uses scotchbrite pads on his after he cleans his crf450 and he said u could maybe sand them with a sandpaper over 240grit aslong as its done by hand ir spinning high speed

Latest posts

Back