I want my bike to start first kick!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Please bear with me as I am a total noon, I have been trolling the forums looking for my answer and although I have picked up some great information I now need more.

I have a yx160 with a molkt carb, it would start easily in two kicks with choke on, which leads me to believe that things are lean because it will not start cold with choke off, on a hot start first kick every time. My header pipe was glowing red so I have slowed the idle and richened the mix at idle via the mix screw which solved the glowing problem. However I want my bike to start with choke off or at least be able to do so. I have raised the needle one clip in the carb which I believe has richened the mix to much and the bike won't run with the mix screw more than 1 turn out, however no backfiring or popping at all. I can not start the bike with choke on these settings.
What am I to do, go back to original settings and do valve clearances? Doo them with current ones? Just want to be able to start my bike with out relying on choke from a cold start. I know I might be asking a bit much. Also because I am a noob I am clear on the instructions to set valve clearances but is it the left hand side cover I need to rip off? Sorry never pulled anything off other than the carb.

mate i dont know of many bikes that will start with out choke on cold start and id say yes set it to standard setting and check valves

2nd kick with choke is normal for cold start on minis. Mine might take 3 without choke but dude if its firing up as you say and running well no need to chase this much.

"Ya gotta get the plug nice and wet before the fire will burn in side"

get an NGK Irridium spark plug for it if you dont already have one
the CR7HIX is the Irridium replacement for the C7HSA
they give a much better spark, easier starts etc

Almost every bike I've owned to date needed choke to start cold the only one that doesn't need it is my anima 190 it actually won't start cold with the choke at all it starts 3rd 4th kick no choke only but that's the only bike ive ever had that has this tendency ..... So I say leave it alone using the choke is normal for a cold start

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I always found the Molkt I had was easier to cold start by winding the idle screw up a bit and using no choke, as it warmed up I'd wind the idle back down again!

Latest posts

Back