I want to build a foam pit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy-latin-steven

Reaction score
Hey Im about to build some ramp but i want to also build a foam pit. I want the foam pit to be large enough so that full size bikes can jump in to it.( Im meaning the big boys like 125cc, 250cc, 450cc). So does anyone know hoow high i should make it? How long i should make it? How wide should i make it? If anyone has some pics of full size foam pits of theirs please show me. Would be a big help. Thanks:D

I know a place that's got a lot of foam just hanging about they don't need.

I'm going to build a foam pit soon because there is a lot of foam hanging around where we live. It's just like Travis Pastranas Foam Pit, exactly the same foam.

We have already collected quite a lot, we're half way there. All we need now is more foam and then we can start building this beast.

A foam pit is a bit more complicated than some assorted foam pieces. You need layers of tyres to prevent the build up of static electricity. 2 layers should do it , then you need chicken wire ontop of the tyres then foam. You need an enclosure to put it in - a hire fence will work but lets snakes into the pit , so you will need to line it. You need a ramp to launch into it . and you need to have a winch to pull the bike out.
A Full sized foam pit begins at $20K , A mini pit you could mybe do for $2k. Foam isnt cheap unless you are prepared to cut mattresses every weekend.
Good luck to ya

Yeh , I think it needs a bit more thought than ' Ummm thinking about building a pit' - Do some research , get foam qoutes - you will need 2 semi trailers full of tight packet foam to fill a big bike pit , even more. Its not a spur of the moment thing it costs big $$$$$$$$

ask hillz he made a foam bike for cheap and it works

Yer i know its going to cost a fair bit. But i already have materials to make the box out of and have a winch to get the bikes out. I also have tyres.But im worried about the snakes as its in country victoria. Also foam im more than happy to look around heaps of places to get it for free. Or me nd my brothers can buy it(as i have 4 brothers lol). So does anyone know the HxLxW

yeah, one of the big fmx stars foam pit went up in flames a while ago, it was because a jap kid on a 2 stroke came in and jumped it (and you know how 2 strokes leak fuel everywhere if you dont turn the fuel off) well, this jap guy got fuel all through it and it causght fire, burnt to a crisp- so think ALOT before you do this

build you ramp , and a dirt down ramp so you get an idea of how far you will go then get a spray can and mark it all out, but remember it better to be too big then not big enough....

ive thought about it heeps , but cost sooo much and theres so much more then you think to do.. we were just gonna get scrap mattress foam from a mattress making factory but would of taken a while to get enough .. then the crane mechanism ....

Im still going to try and build one. Iv got a fair bit of time to make it lol. Iv already found out most of the stuff i need and where to get it from. Im going to have the pit LxWxH=10x8x3. Im going to have a layer of tyres to prevent static electricity. Im going to use a block and tackle with a long chain to get the bike out. Also im going to put chicken wire on top of the tyres. And in case for fires im going to have fire extinguishers on the outside walls a fair bit of them. And theres a dam near by so i can use a pump to pump water through just in case lol.

unless your dropping off the edge of it i think it needs to be a bit more than 3 ft high! if your talking meters, 8m wide? can't you ride straight?

'unless your dropping off the edge of it i think it needs to be a bit more than 3 ft high! if your talking meters, 8m wide? can't you ride straight?'

Ha obviously u dont know much about foam pits or even fmx lol. #1 y da f@ck wud it be 3ft high. #2 Most big fmx stars foam pits are like 15 m long by 10m wide and 3m deep. #3 A foam pit is to do tricks(8 metres wide so that if you do bail or make a mistake on a trick u can fall into the foam pit.
U should do a bit more reseach before making comments.

good luck with it... btw id make sure no snakes make it there home... they can b nasty lol
i ran out of fuel one time next to a 7foot red belly... shat myself lol

I Live in S.A and i have a foam pit Its 6.5M X 6.5M X 2M i made THe frame From 50x50x 3mm RHS Costs around $300, im a boiler maker/ Fitter so i welded it myself. i Used 2nd hand corrigated iron and tech screwed it to the frame. Bought a huge 15 X 15 M Heavy duty tarp from bunnings = $120 to line the pit. used one layer of tyres then chicken wire. Tyres Free from local dump. Chicken wire was about $180 . As For foam get all your mates to go to the local dumps and get them to hold onto lounges and matresses! i allso went to cheap as chips and bought noodles and zip tied them around the edge of the pit. it took me 2 years to completly fill my foam pit! im in the process of extending it at the moment.. so worth it man. Get on to it asap!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back