im having trouble with my kickstart....

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_kiwi_kid

Reaction score
ive had my pitpro 140 for about 4 months now... and i am having troubles with my kickstart.... theres too much compression.... when i kick it, it will shoot back up really quickly.... any advise on how i can fix this problem???

Have you got an inner rotor or anything? Kick back is caused by the spark plug sparking at the wrong time sending the piston back before the engine fires. So it's a timing problem..Have you done anything to alter it?

as has been mentioned time and time again how you kick the bike is vital, remember you got a 4 stroker not a 2 stroker so don't just kick away.
When kicking it around to "TDC" don't kick it fast, just kick it around slowly.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the bike will spark just before TDC (anywhere from 5-15 degree would be my guess) this means if you actually have the bike at TDC then you won't get kickback. Problem is most people think they have TDC when they are still 15-50 degree away because they are coming up on the compression stroke and it gets harder.
If you go past TDC it is easier to kick as the compression stroke is over and as the piston comes back down by itself you simply give it lots more speed.

a clue?
on big bikes you can get a decompression cam but not sure if they are available for these little china's

hey '08 pitpro 140' came standard with a 30mm mikuni carby.... wats better???? the one i have on at the moment or the 28mm OKO carby???

the ol tdc

do or dont ? that is the question

me i do but then agin i know where it is ,experiance
of all the bikes iv had over the yrs the hardest bike to start was my cr 500 no decomp lever

so hence if you didnt start on the top of the stroke youd be going home early with a busted ankle

so i tought my young bloke the same as i do took a bit but now he has it right of

when i first watched him kicking his bike it was like watching a machine over and over and over agin he would kick it with no luck

i used to larf my gutz out ,then i would go over get it to tdc and them push it down with my hand and pop away she went

i have never heard of a kick gear breaking because of tdc starting

i'll leve the rest up to you to decide

tdc means top dead centre, which is when the piston is at the top of its compression stroke.

and if it is kicking back it means your not quite at tdc

kiwi kid when i got my atomik 140 the first few days it had heapzs of compesion n would kick back hard every second kick it was hard to start tock 10 to 15 kicks or to start it would kick back hard like my crf 450 used to even harder near broke bones in my foot when it kicked back brusied it 4 a month had to wear big boots just to start it my foot killing me then the cdi s--- it self n i had no spark got new cdi n it starts first kick every time now heaps less compersion n never kicks back i dont no bout your problem but the new cdi stoped mine kicking back i dont no that much bout bikes does any 1 no why the new cdi fixe the problem

A faulty CDI can be stuck on advance and cause severe kick back ........

The reason why I said to get the piston just past TDC before kicking is because it can't possibly kick back at that point .... IF the cylinder fires it can ONLY push the piston and crank around in the RIGHT direction , taking the load totally OFF the kick starter mechanism ........and the riders foot ......

Not every engine will have the timing set right ...... plus the piston only has to be 1 degree before TDC when the ignition fires for kick back to occur .....

IF you know anything about engines , it's bad for combustion to occur even while the piston is dwelling anywhere on TDC rock over ...... EITHER WAY of TDC at low cranking speeds ... The ignition is timed in with crank speed . It may be firing 5 degrees BTDC at idle but full flame front travel takes time to initiate full combustion force on the piston and in those few micro seconds the crank can rotate 10 or more degrees so that the piston doesn't cop the shove until it's just passed the edge of TDC rocker . If the shove comes earlier .... the rod gets hammered straight down into the crank pin and is the leading cause of shattered big end bearing roller cages in 2 stroke engines . I've even seen people kick start 2 strokes that kicked back due to incorrectly set timing and they've gone backwards when the clutch was let out .......:p

I sold my SC500 Yamaha 2 stroke to my brother and he got great glee out of challenging people to try to start it and watching them destroy their right foot ....... that was ..... until the fairly thick kick starter shaft eventually sheared off just outside of the seal and wiped the cheesy grin off his face ....... :p

In a nutshell , if you're NOT getting kick back in any way , shape or form ..... then you are starting your bike correctly ....... but if you ARE , and just keep on going the way you are ......then don't be a turkey and go whinging on forums about weak kick start gears and cases busting when you trash yours ......

I gots the same problem but thanks for the help guys i think its the compression on the 140 motors.. or im just a novice .. lol

A faulty CDI can be stuck on advance and cause severe kick back ........

In a nutshell , if you're NOT getting kick back in any way , shape or form ..... then you are starting your bike correctly ....... but if you ARE , and just keep on going the way you are ......then don't be a turkey and go whinging on forums about weak kick start gears and cases busting when you trash yours ......

This seems like a tech talk thread, but I'll run with it here.

I wish I read about that faulty CDI thing earlier. I had a "race CDI" on my Lifan 140 recently. Last Sunday, the "race" CDI died (well made the engine run very rough - when idling or slight revving in neutral). So I put the stock CDI back on. What intrigued me was how easy my engine then started. Now what annoyed me was that the "race CDI" was causing a lot of kick back. I have a KX450F and I also like to care for mechanical things so I don't carelessly just kick away at it. I had not done enough hrs prior with the stock CDI to realise what was going on was abnormal. With the kick back it seemed to smash some starter gear before some ratchet or whatever has time to get out of the way. Evil. Now I think I have a few teeth missing in there (since I found them in the drain oil). :mad:

Question: Decompression cam control on the Lifan 140 - does this device exist? What is the device on the right side bridging the rocker arm pins? :confused: I have noticed that sometimes I seem to have a decom happening and other times not. I'd rather consistency and no decomp at all and manually finding TDC+5deg each time, then to not know where it is at. Can I simply take that gizmo out when I put my Akunar cam in?

Hey Kiwi

Kick-Back from your pitbike is caused by one thing and one thing only............TOO MUCH FUEL!

Tune ya bike and dont hold ya throttle open when starting...................

Latest posts

Back