Iphone 4......

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call bollocks miss saleswoman!

The reason the reception drops when you hold it is interference from direct contact to the antenna, not from obscuring the signal. Basically the human body suddenly starts acting as part of the antenna which introduces a heap of interference ;)

NextG won't cure this... A cheap plastic case (I believe Apple will supply you with one for free if you ask) will though...

:boxing:

Yeah but the telstra next g network is the only one that has less then 2% reported cases of this happening. I know how the hole antenna issue works... but it's as simple as we haven't had the issue and telstra modify all the phones they get to run off the next g network as it's a different frequency.. I think it has helped.. and the low fault % show it's helped! Compared to AT&T reporting like 50% cases!

Ha ha but I don't care as of the 13th as I quit :D

Yeah but the telstra next g network is the only one that has less then 2% reported cases of this happening. I know how the hole antenna issue works... but it's as simple as we haven't had the issue and telstra modify all the phones they get to run off the next g network as it's a different frequency.. I think it has helped.. and the low fault % show it's helped! Compared to AT&T reporting like 50% cases!

Ha ha but I don't care as of the 13th as I quit :D

Hehehe, wrong again! :b_grind:

NextG is still a 3G network, Telstra just like to sound all exclusive and stuff :p

Most people will find that in urban areas (ie, within the stronger 3G signal regions) there will never be a problem... The 2% is probably the people that drop back to 2G where Telstra's coverage goes to shit. Personally I couldn't give a toss what AT&T manage, they had the phones before Apple released the aerial cover fix, aside from which they are an American company. Mind you, Telstra does generally have the best coverage out of the Aus mobs... Pity they couple it with such sh!tty plans!

I used to flog NextG products myself and coming from an IT/telco background I understand how all these systems operate... Stop towing the company line! ;)

It's too late now in any case, he's gone and ordered one :p

NextG is still a 3G network, Telstra just like to sound all exclusive and stuff :p

Most people will find that in urban areas (ie, within the stronger 3G signal regions) there will never be a problem... The 2% is probably the people that drop back to 2G where Telstra's coverage goes to shit. Personally I couldn't give a toss what AT&T manage, they had the phones before Apple released the aerial cover fix, aside from which they are an American company. Mind you, Telstra does generally have the best coverage out of the Aus mobs... Pity they couple it with such sh!tty plans!

I used to flog NextG products myself and coming from an IT/telco background I understand how all these systems operate... Stop towing the company line! ;)

lol wrong, we have upgraded from 3 prepaid sims and that to 3 new phones with the more credit for 10 bucks more a month each... im happy with that. infact it was cheaper to go with telstra then anyone else in this case

I wouldn't be hiring you then that's for sure!! :rolleyes:

Telstra's 3g is complely different to anyone else's so called 3g. They run there 3g off different bands (the better one's) and give the other bands to every other provider hence why Telstra will always be better. I can get technical but can't be bothered. lol.

This also applies to data. We are running the new Telstra 42mb dongles and they kill anything else out there. No other company have access to the bands required for that data so no other company will be able to sell it.

Telstra will always have the best reception as they have the most infrastructure although Optus are slowing getting there now as well.

I don't own the new Iphone, But i do have the old one and it is really good. Replaces my laptop if I go away can still do emails, MR, music, movies, games, internet, and yeah most phones can do that but not as good as the iphone. I have played with the new Iphone 4 and its great I think the resolution on the screen is pretty amazing and the fact its got a really good camera also makes it worth while pitty im on a 2 year contract with mine or else I would get one maybe ill upgrade my plan so I can get one :p

I wouldn't be hiring you then that's for sure!! :rolleyes:

Telstra's 3g is complely different to anyone else's so called 3g. They run there 3g off different bands (the better one's) and give the other bands to every other provider hence why Telstra will always be better. I can get technical but can't be bothered. lol.

This also applies to data. We are running the new Telstra 42mb dongles and they kill anything else out there. No other company have access to the bands required for that data so no other company will be able to sell it.

Telstra will always have the best reception as they have the most infrastructure although Optus are slowing getting there now as well.

Presuming you work for Telstra I don't want you to hire me... I'd prefer to lop off a testicle with a rusty knife than ever have anything to do with them ever again :p

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that Telstra sure as sh!t don't mod there phones to allow access to their "exclusive" bands... In fact, you'll find a lot of providers can piggy back onto the NextG/3G network in areas that they haven't paid Telstra for tower rights (depending on your plan you may be charged extra for 3g/carrier roaming services)... Unfortunately Telstra restricts the connections from non-Telstra phones. Simplistically - All 3g capable phones have the capacity to access NextG, it's just Telstra are hanging onto it like mad!

Telstra as a rule offer the best coverage (and hence data speed) nation wide, but it effects me so little I'll stick with other providers. They are in this position as they were backed/owned by the government for so long. It's slowly evening out though, especially as the ACCC begins to enact laws that force Telstra to share their network fairly (beginning with no charge for naked DSL etc).

As it stands, all their so called "innovative" technology has been available in the US/EU for some time... Hopefully it's not too long until they start to share; Lets face it, they other companies will still be lining Telstra's pockets for the use of the network ;)

At the end of the day I'm happy for people to go with whichever provider suits them best, for my usage though, Telstra are far and away more expensive than the competition with no gain. This might change in the future :bigcry:

There is 3 different 3g frequancies 850 2100 1900

Telstra has all 3 and everyone else just has 2100 and 1900.

Next g network is 850, which is considered to be 3.5g. I hit up on our internal knowledge website for this info. You would know of knowhow.in.telstra.com if you worked for telstra.. searched it on there and it gave me a pretty straight answer.

So i consider telstra nextg network to be different! Sometimes in rural areas where no other reception is offered to 3 customer with compatible handsets they will roam on to nextg but only to make emergency calls.

I couldn't be bothered reading after my last post ha ha. So thats all I'm saying ha ha.

kidxf168, that is the due to the noise cancelling mic, which most other phones have had for 5+ years :)

or you mean telstra?

optus and vodaphone use half duplex , where telstra still uses full duplex

Bugger!
My Iphone application just got denied. Seems I am still in contract for 2 more months. Doh!
Dunno how much Telstra would want to screw me to get out of it but it's probably not worth it.
Let us know your experiences good and bad guys/girls. It will help clarify some of the 'issues' people keep hearing about.
oldhack.

Bugger!
My Iphone application just got denied. Seems I am still in contract for 2 more months. Doh!
Dunno how much Telstra would want to screw me to get out of it but it's probably not worth it.
Let us know your experiences good and bad guys/girls. It will help clarify some of the 'issues' people keep hearing about.
oldhack.

You can pay the rest of your contract outright, just say you're on a $20 plan you just pay them $40 or whatever and you're free to do whatever you want.

You can pay the rest of your contract outright, just say you're on a $20 plan you just pay them $40 or whatever and you're free to do whatever you want.

Yeh thanks TyD,
I just got off the phone to them and they want $150 for early termination. Not worth it.
If you wait until it is less than 60 days till your plan runs out they will waive the fee.
Thats only 4 weeks away. Pretty sure I can survive until then!
oldhack

ok awesome, well at the shop they guy gave me the adaptor to copy the contacts to the new sim (micro sim) and yeah all was sweet untill when i got home i realised i diddnt actuly copy them to sim...

but with some ideas from the member jolinator iv got all the contacts:D

what you have to do, copy all your contacts from the old phone to the old sim, make sure they are copied.. then take the micro sim and sit it on top of the old, trace around it then cut up the old sim to the same size as the micro.
put the cut up sim in, copy the contacts to the phone then put the actual micro sim in and hey presto ya got contacts :D

thanks joli

ok awesome, well at the shop they guy gave me the adaptor to copy the contacts to the new sim (micro sim) and yeah all was sweet untill when i got home i realised i diddnt actuly copy them to sim...

but with some ideas from the member jolinator iv got all the contacts:D

what you have to do, copy all your contacts from the old phone to the old sim, make sure they are copied.. then take the micro sim and sit it on top of the old, trace around it then cut up the old sim to the same size as the micro.
put the cut up sim in, copy the contacts to the phone then put the actual micro sim in and hey presto ya got contacts :D

thanks joli

So I take it a regular sim won't fit in these new phones?
Why would you go and change something if it aint broke?... Don't answer that, Because they can.
WTF is a micro sim anyway? Is it like the size of a mini data storage card (SD card).

Latest posts

Back