Irridium Spark plug

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnesd09

Reaction score
Normally I use an NGK C7HSA or CR7HSA spark plug.
But I was just doing some reading on NGK's website and apparently they make a CR7HIX which is an Irridium plug,alternative for standard ones that I use.
Has anyone used one or know where to get one?

ive had one in the RX since i got it, goes good no dramas, ken dear tho.

I have used them and platinum in other bikes, there is no real performance gains (despite what the manufacturers say) the main gains are in longevity which in 4cyl dohc motors is worth it if you dont have to go through the dramas of geting at the plug as often. On motors like pittys I feel that they are realy not worth it.

Tina

its weird, my pocket bike and my mso 140 both run the same plug..lol..

As far as I know, they just have a better spark and will last longer..

copper will produce the best spark due to it being the best conductor with least resistance, the next best would be pure silver but unfortunately silver will not hold up to being a electrode in a cylinder for very long.

Tina

copper wont last long in the cylinder bloke!

copper is used inside core of the iridium spark plug, iridium is the electrode metal.

the ground electrode is tapered which doesn't inhibit the flame spread thus achieved a better burn.

iridium plugs also has a longer life than standard nickle alloy plugs due to the higher melting point higher resistance to oxidation of iridium.

Last edited:
it's like this

i think you can get it on ebay.com.au like this
12652959230.jpg
Normally I use an NGK C7HSA or CR7HSA spark plug.
But I was just doing some reading on NGK's website and apparently they make a CR7HIX which is an Irridium plug,alternative for standard ones that I use.
Has anyone used one or know where to get one?

That's all true Dabomb
But in most real world motors the taper on the on the electrode wont make much of a difference unless the head is machined to ensure that the electrode is orientated correctly, sadly very few motors are that well manufactured. We use to do this for kart race motors but the gains are negligible (as tested on dyno) but in control classes where every % of bhp counts this can be a gain.
The main performance gain I ever found for iridium and platinum plugs was a posible resitance to fowling in 2 stroke motors when the mix was a little to oily or a customer set carbs to rich.

Tina
PS: not bloke lol

imo they arnt woth the extra money. i think they offer none/ very little extra performance, the only usefull thing about them is thay seem to last longer and are really handy if the plugs are a bastard to get to.. like a magna (rear bank)

^^^^ like sabertooth said bout the electrodes being orientated right, i to was always told back when i used to race in speedway that if u get the all the electrodes facing the same direction and in the right spot it does increase ever so slighty the hp but that was on multi cylinder engines, so not really a great help here.

Its like fancy full synthetic oil and super petrol, yes they're better but too such a small extent its simply not worth it. You cant feel a difference even if you think you can!

^^^^ what do you mean by super petrol? if your talking bout 98oct.. then i can say there is a diference over normal 91oct or 95oct, i hav noticed well improved kms/per tank with 98oct on hwy use and improved power gains in city use (when required :D ), aslo i believe with the 98 it helps keep the fuel system cleaner thus requiring less maintence on the injectors and obviously has a "cleaner" burn due to the extra kms achieved out of a tank of 98oct fuel.

Thats why LIQUID INJECTION GAS has been the thing to go for in the past few years, it offer a higher oct reading and can be delivered throught the std fuel ecu/map setting = a lil more hp at the same ltr/100km as does petrol. look into it....... hmmm a minibike on liquid injection gas...lol might look into it :)
damm arvo/night shift gets boring.. i think about to many possibilities :p

Yes but your not talking about a pitbike! A car with knock detection and ignition advance control will run better on higher octane up to a point. A low compression pit? Not a chance. As for cleaning thats all to do with what additives are present. But this is slightly off topic now I think!

lol. yep im way off topic...soz.. just get bored at work
anyway
Irridium Spark plug imo are a waste of money on a pitbike.

Cheers Guys! Really appreciate the info.
After reading what NGK said and then reading about all your experiences, I was considering getting one but seeing as there appears to be no really difference except life span I think I'll stick with the standard plug and prob just upgrade the coil and cdi unit, where I'm guessing you would get a better more stable and efficent spark.

the iridium in other words is for long term benefits, there is a performance gain, but too small to notice.

Latest posts

Back