Is car motor oil ok?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chooka

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a pitpro 125rr and the first thing i done was drop the oil. I had no "motorbike" oil so i just used car oil.....is this ok? i think its 20w 50

cheers, i probably would not mind getting something a bit thicker tho. when it gets warm seems to thin right out.

Um it would probably work, but i would use proper 4 stroke small engine motorbike oil.
The car oil would be thicker than bike oil, by using the moto oil it would move around more in the engine meaning it willlube everything up better than car oil would.

I use Penrite Monograde SAE 30, it workes a treat. :)

car oil is not designed to be chewed up by the gearbox like car oil is
Chinese bikes do not like synthetic oil most car oil is synthetic only use a mineral oil

search for any post by sean1 and take a look at his Sig
search again for a thread titled
attention newbies you re new pit bike and you by a guy called thump 140 (rip)
and welcome to miniriders

most 4stroke motorbikes including japanese and chinese recomend a minimum SG grade oil(standard car oil)for engine and gearbox but in a 10w40 or a sae 30 but they do not recomend any friction modified type oils as they damage clutches,these oils are recomend as best for all round conditions,i have often thought as too our hot summer climate that a slightly thicker oil as a 15w 50 would be more suitable as it wouldnt thin as much on our hotter days dropping lubrication properties,would be interested too hear seans opinion

i would use either 10w40 or 15w50 in both winter or summer. but my pick of the 2 is 10w40
i would never use a mono grade oil as iv seen engines go bang and have a very short life..

i personally dont believe in car oil for motorcycles running a wet clutch as the oil is not designed to put up with the bashing the clutch has on oil.

one thing tho, these engines dont require massive oil pressures like a car would because they run roller bearings and not slipper type (like in car engines) but they do require a high volume of oil.

so pick an oil that isnt too thick when cold and doesnt break down too much when hot. engine start up is the most critical for oil pressure

its all fine lol..

if u were to use car oil.. just make sure its mineral. not synthetic.

But really.. we are talkin china motors here.. from my experience car oil has never made any of my motor run bad or not as they should.
Although i will admit i use Castrol 4t stuff.. only cause i now have a little more money in the bank.. but in my other bike (lifan 140) i use car oil.

well i get as much gtx3 magnatec as i need for free so i put that in my bike im pretty sure its 10w40 have no dramas

and no i cant get any for anyone its from a mechanic mate that ask's lots of questions when i use heaps of oil lol

it would appear from that oil article that oil is just oil

if you need some of it you can get it from the ocean....

Latest posts

Back