Is my wheel repairable?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its_jay_just_jay

Reaction score
Soooo somehow I managed to expand the hole for me bearing, guessing the axle was loose. Is this repairable or do i need a new one?
IMAG0573.jpg

It look's like someone may have fitted a 35mm o/d, 15mm i/d bearing into a 37mm o/d, 12mm i/d bearing hub.
Does your hub i/d measure 37mm ?
And the o/d of your bearing measure 35mm ?

I just had another look with fresh bearings... one side is way wider than the other...
IMAG0577.jpg

RIGHT
IMAG0579.jpg
LEFT
IMAG0580.jpg

Ok, i haven't seen that happen before.
Must have been run with the chain way too tight?

Yeah it is now a junk wheel, time to order another

Speak to some mechanic's, they may be able to put you onto someone that can fit a speedy sleeve for you.

well... that makes me pretty sad... :( know where i can get a single IMR-Racing wheel from...?
Speedy sleeve...? that sounds fast... I might have a google of it.

The option i thought of last night (in my sleep wtf) was to use a strip of a coke can and push it in as a shim to take up the space... I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
$50 is not too bad at all!

sooo I tried the strips of can trick and am pretty happy with how snug the bearing is now.
I was kinda a little sad that the idea had been thought of before though ha ha. I took photos as i went along thinking i could share this awesome idea, only to get back to my pc and see your post about the idea ha ha

Coke can shims for a loose wheel bearing

So here it is. My chin i am suspecting was too tight and it blew out the brake side rear wheel bearing recess. This was my fix.

First the damage
IMAG0573.jpg

The 'gap'
IMAG0582.jpg

The tools...
IMAG0583.jpg

I used the old bearing to mark cut line
IMAG0591.jpg

shim perfection
IMAG0584.jpg

I forced 2 full strips easily
IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

I then made shorter single loop shims because they were harder to force in.
(a little WD40 helped)
IMAG0595.jpg

It was easier once i smoothed the edges on the tire
IMAG0594.jpg

As they got harder to push in i moved the axle in the bearing to force the shim in more.
IMAG0592.jpg

Final product was quite tight!
IMAG0596.jpg

IMAG0597.jpg

Latest posts

Back