Jet help - experimenting with e85 need them BIG

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tuned a bit with cars on e85 an the benefit is worth it. Midrange picks right up and can safely lean on the tunes a lot more. Benefit too that it burns cooler and cleans out carbon deposits.

Anyway I have a spare jinke carb that I want to experiment with on one of the kids quads and then move onto different carbs. Now with the ludicrous pricing of jets I don't want to go buying a heap that won't be used.

What I need is to start out with 60% higher than on std jets and get the float set to throw fuel at it, I'm hoping that it has enough vacuum to cope and see how it goes.

It's not conventional but I get bored easy and need to try new things lol

empty the fuel tank after every ride too and replace fuel lines with ones that cope with ethanol, probably carby gaskets as well.

There was one guy in Tassie running his bike on 100% ethanol and fuel injection, apparently it was a weapon but I cant find him or any info on what he did.

Used to run 100% in the race boats back in the day, nasty stuff, really eats everything, but very good race fuel. Careful of header flames, they can't be seen

Are you getting methanol confused with e85?

I've run meth on cars and yes you are right fuel lines require flushing and it absorbs water. Ethanol/e85 is more forgiving being not a complete alcohol fuel.

Ethanol will eat the tank,carbie O rings and fuel line. Have seen it happen. It makes a huge mess.
I would not run any fuel that is recommended not to use in a victa lawn mower.

Ethanol will eat the tank,carbie O rings and fuel line. Have seen it happen. It makes a huge mess.
I would not run any fuel that is recommended not to use in a victa lawn mower.

110% utter rubbish. E85 will not harm fuel lines ,gaskets or fuel tanks in anyway. Maybe you have been drinking methanol which will do as you describe. In my experience Zorro, 30% more volume is required from a petrol tune, aiming for 9's in AFR. Go for it, like you said only question would be enough velocity thru the carb to make it all work.

Just because you have a difference of opinion dont make you correct.
I have seen what Ethanol has done in bikes. It reacts with the plastic tanks. O rings in fuel taps.Fuel hoses and carbie O rings. It turns into a jelly and leaves a residue and breaks the parts down if left on them for periods of time.

I've seen similar from 'trusted' fuel line from 98 rotting lines. Maybe some cheap Chinese plastic isn't upto the task, hence why tanks fail. If this is the case ill knock up a stainless or alloy tank, no biggie.

I've always tuned e85 to lambda, as no matter what fuel you use 1 is always going to be Stoich. I'm only working off the starting point I made on my senator, makes it easier though with a laptop and wideband lol.

Where is a supplier of jets for reasonable prices, I have to laugh at $16 a jet..

All good DHZ I was referring just to the plastics not the whole bike. I plan to use the green washers we use in air-con systems, they will survive a nuclear holocaust.

I will use Caltex eflex to begin with, testing with that I've seen consistent 70-75% ethanol content, the united e85 I've seen as high as 90% and is a little harder to tune. Once I get the carb sorted ill start piecing together something with some pretty high comp to exploit the eflex and see what results I can get. As I said its just for a bit of fun at the moment to try something out, we have run avgas in bikes in the past but with eflex/e85 being readily available at a lot of servos just seems logical.

Ill check that link out, cheers!

110% utter rubbish. E85 will not harm fuel lines ,gaskets or fuel tanks in anyway. Maybe you have been drinking methanol which will do as you describe. In my experience Zorro, 30% more volume is required from a petrol tune, aiming for 9's in AFR. Go for it, like you said only question would be enough velocity thru the carb to make it all work.

Drinking methanol? Pull your head in, if your going to post stick to the point, from a long term member you have had very little contribution.

All good DHZ I was referring just to the plastics not the whole bike. I plan to use the green washers we use in air-con systems, they will survive a nuclear holocaust.

I will use Caltex eflex to begin with, testing with that I've seen consistent 70-75% ethanol content, the united e85 I've seen as high as 90% and is a little harder to tune. Once I get the carb sorted ill start piecing together something with some pretty high comp to exploit the eflex and see what results I can get. As I said its just for a bit of fun at the moment to try something out, we have run avgas in bikes in the past but with eflex/e85 being readily available at a lot of servos just seems logical.

Ill check that link out, cheers!

Will be interesting to see how you go with it. We have a few service stations around here selling 100 octane ethanol.

When you say the 90% was a little harder to tune what was it that it did to make it hard??
Avgas is great to use but as you said its hard to come bye..

The 100 stuff hasn't really got anything going for it over BP ultimate, seen it back to back on a dyno. Actually pulled less figures.

The e85 from united is bang on 85% ethanol or higher with the hiccup being setting the Stoich ratio correctly to make fuelling easier to dial in. The eflex slightly easier however th united stuff gets better numbers.

Actually I was going to sell the conversion kits for E85 for cars, good stuff if you ask me. In fact, I can still sell them, hmmmm.

Ok back to topic. Whatever jet you have now, go up in increments of ten as a start, what do ya reckon?

Agreed on that 100 octane stuff, my car actually runs worse with it.

Victa don't want it used as you know how people are with lawnmowerrs, the fuel could stay in there for months. I admit I have run avgas in my mower and whipper snipper though, hehe

There are a few controllers in late model cars that can accept an inline sensor and be able to tune to 'flex' fuel systems. The new Holden Cruze can be done, fella I know has done it to the 1.4l turbo in the sri. Also on GM models from the e40 that controlled ls2, e38 from VE series 1/2 and the e39 which come flex fuel enabled. Can also allow switchable tunes in earlier ls1b controllers from vt-vy.

Some OS work off calcs from the o2 sensors aswell. SCT and the new HP tuners handhelds can store multiple tunes so you can run either e85 or 98ron.

It's car dependent on what they need, I ran my VZ senator on e85 for a couple of weeks on std fuel pump & injectors (42lbs). Only went back to 98 as the stock converter was starting to slip and the fuel economy was rubbish. I started at 60% across the VE table for fuelling and adjusted from there, lambda 1 at cruise and 0.82 at WOT....

Anyway ill write an essay if I don't stop now lol

There are a few controllers in late model cars that can accept an inline sensor and be able to tune to 'flex' fuel systems. The new Holden Cruze can be done, fella I know has done it to the 1.4l turbo in the sri. Also on GM models from the e40 that controlled ls2, e38 from VE series 1/2 and the e39 which come flex fuel enabled. Can also allow switchable tunes in earlier ls1b controllers from vt-vy.

Some OS work off calcs from the o2 sensors aswell. SCT and the new HP tuners handhelds can store multiple tunes so you can run either e85 or 98ron.

It's car dependent on what they need, I ran my VZ senator on e85 for a couple of weeks on std fuel pump & injectors (42lbs). Only went back to 98 as the stock converter was starting to slip and the fuel economy was rubbish. I started at 60% across the VE table for fuelling and adjusted from there, lambda 1 at cruise and 0.82 at WOT....

Anyway ill write an essay if I don't stop now lol

running e85 with 42lbs injectors on the senator :action-smiley-018:

Drinking methanol? Pull your head in, if your going to post stick to the point, from a long term member you have had very little contribution.

It annoys me that people post information that is incorrect. Zorro and Phil are speaking a different language on this 2nd page the person I pointed out has since gone quite. Figures don't lie. Referring to you comment about being on point, 30% more volume and 9 AFR is fact. Zorro is correct in that tuning to lambda is also correct, 0.8 will make most power tho Zorro.
United drop their e85 to 70% during winter for better starting and in summer their 15% is only 91 or 87 octane. Use powerplus fuels e85 as their 15% is true 98 octane all day.
Compression needs to be high to really take advantage of e85 and a adjustable ignition to put the heat back into the engine via timing so the china junk ignition curves may negate any advantage. Grouse batcar thats Murdered out.

Latest posts

Back