Jet help - experimenting with e85 need them BIG

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I didn't want this to turn into a problem thread, experience is key in all of this and we all see things first hand of outcomes with experimenting.

I don't tune e85 with AFR, always in lambda as no matter what fuel you use Stoich value is ALWAYS '1'. Just makes life easier :D

I have a little test kit for ethanol, very simple to do. Buy a small beaker that can take 500-1000ml. Then put 100ml of water in to make the ethanol go cloudy an then put 500ml of fuel in to make the total of 600ml. Then the maths is measure the petrol at the top - petrol content / original amount x 100 = ethanol %.

Also where the ethanol wins is it doesn't really matter what the fuel in it is (91/95/98) as the ethanol bumps the octane rating high enough and in my experience if the car/bike can take say 28* timing but make no more power that 25* then why run the risk pushing more timing for no reason.

I wonder how they blend it at the refineries? I heard with e10 they blend it when they fill the tanker before distribution that day.

I'm very interested in this zorro, I wonder how we can work out a fuel injection system as well. Then we may as well run methanol, haha.

Also, has to be lambda right? Thats what your ecu uses for fuel mixture, isn't it?

I think ethanol has a different shelf life, shorter, so the blending may be sooner to despatch. I have a mate who designs the refinery grids here in Melbourne ill ask him, I do know that most fuel after its refined state has all the additives thrown in along the pipeline.

If e85 works and I don't end up with fuel puddling in the inlet than I will try barrel stuff and then meth if I get alright results. Shouldn't need injection, maybe experimenting with airflow on different carbs to suit the capacity of the engine/cam. Bikes with carbs are simple so don't want to complicate it, really if there is no benefit for the average motor I won't bother chasing it and I don't really see anyone with all out built motors in pitbikes, I'd have one as a toy not a weekend thrasher.

Lambda is just easier, with tuning alcohol fuel on AFR you have to work
out the conversion based on the alcohol content so saves mucking around, lambda Stoich for any fuel is 1, whereas petrol AFR is 14.1:1, diesel 14.8:1, e85 9.76:1.....

Last edited:
Where do you live? If you get this right, I'm keen on converting my bike to methanol, hehe

I live in Frankston, so pretty far from you i guess?

Anyway, I'll keep watching this thread, see how you progress, good luck.

Again I will add, there was a thread on here with a guy in Tassie who was running methanol, might look for it later

cheers

Not as far from you as you think, maybe 25mins depending on traffic

This is out of my league, we only get E10 up here. And as for fuel all i know is you put it in your tank to burn or use it to get dried paint off your hands lol. This has been an interesting thread and look forward to the updates.

Lol Mick!! E10 is actually alright, depending on supplier is 93-95ron but they don't advertise it and seems to still be an orphan fuel :/

Yeah the ethanol blends are really looked down upon up here, the higher you get to the top end(country) the less trusting people are of the big companies, and they stick to what they know and dont like experimenting. Oh yeah we think alike in our signatures mate. Break it........i like haha.

That's true, even in Brisbane I was selective on what servos I used in my old ute. Could tell on my logs if had **** fuel or not by how much knock retard was pulling timing.

Up north once past rocky & gladdy yeah it's a bit hit an miss

Oh yeah the sig lol, was a sticker I had on my old tool box. Keeps the mind in check if you ever doubt yourself racing haha

Latest posts

Back