kick start not engauging

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky1961

Reaction score
hi again i just went to kick over my small wheel 250cc that has a non elec start ducar eng kicked over 3 kicks than the kick stater just went straight down like its stripped a gear or something the shaft isnt broken or move in or out and the return spring works fine but its just not engauging is this a major fix like having to split the cases or is there a gear set up inside the clutch cover ect realy pissin me off as my brother was going to come for a ride on it with me n since there no hills where we strat rideing its a ***** to bump start lol thanks tricky

i would take the kickstart lever, then the side cover off the engine and have a better look inside.
it could be a broken idler gear maybe? not too hard to replace

if you lean the bike over on it's left side, you should be ok to take it off without draining the oil first.

You need a new 'kick start spring'. The kick start gear is on a spiral shaft, the spring puts tension on it. So when you push the lever down it travels up the spiraled shaft and turns at the same time. The spring will be broken so there is no tension on the gear, it'll just spin without moving up the shaft and into position. In the meantime you'll be able to get it to engage by laying the bike at an angle (probably right side, so jump off and kick with your left foot)

Cheap easy part to replace... if you can find one
But pull the cover off and inspect first. I bet you'll find a broken spring in the crankcase. Note that if you lay the bike on its side you may not immediately see it, because it'll be laying under a pool of oil. Best to drain and reuse it

Latest posts

Back