killing batterys on my rx125

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoluver

Reaction score
im having troubles with batterys on my rx. Ive had 2 of them leak acid out, after a few weeks of use. What happens is my lights start dimming while riding at night, my speedo stops reading and then the lcd starts flashing. If i start my bike in the morning the electric start cranks fine, if i turn the bike off it will act like a dead flat battery.

Im now using a lithium battery and the problems are back. I got a mulitimeter today and got no idea what im doing but i just put it on the 9v battery test function on it. While the bike is off it reads 14.66 and when i have it running and revving it gets up to around 15.27

Am i testing this right?

Those Motobatt batteries had a bad batch i heard, anything made between july and december last year? and a lot were failing.
I have heard of over 20 people having them fail, not holding charge, leaking etc etc

On your multimeter there should be a DC 20v test.
Test the battery on that setting, (sound's like you'll get the same result)
At idle it should be putting out about 12.9 volt's. Then slightly higher at 2500 rpms or close, with a maximum reading around 13.8 volts.
With your reading of 15,27 when revving it show's that the voltage regulator isn't working properly and it's cooking the battery's.

Do you have a picture of your regulator/rectifier?
And a picture of your stator ?

Last edited:
Those Motobatt batteries had a bad batch i heard, anything made between july and december last year? and a lot were failing.
I have heard of over 20 people having them fail, not holding charge, leaking etc etc

At idle it should be putting out about 12.9 volt's. Then slightly higher at 2500 rpms or close, with a maximum reading around 13.8 volts.
With your reading of 15,27 when revving it show's that the voltage regulator isn't working properly and it's cooking the battery's.

Yes ive had a motobatt and it was leaking within 2 weeks. I cant see any 20v test only the 9v test

I did the same test, same settings on my holden vt v8 calais. 12.8v while off, 13.5v while idling.

I dont have a pic of the stator but its a dead stock jailing 125 motorvert motor
11120058_700460703414685_356689742_n.jpg

The 20V DC test is just above 9 o'clock on your meter.

Yeah definately too many volt's going to the battery.

Look at the wiring coming up from the stator, the is a few connector;s about 200mm higher than the sattor cover where the stator wiring join's the main loom.,
Is there just one Yellow wire, and one White wire ?
Beside's the Black w/red stripe, Blue w/white stripe, and the Green

The 20V DC test is just above 9 o'clock on your meter.

Yeah definately too many volt's going to the battery.

Look at the wiring coming up from the stator, the is a few connector;s about 200mm higher than the sattor cover where the stator wiring join's the main loom.,
Is there just one Yellow wire, and one White wire ?
Beside's the Black w/red stripe, Blue w/white stripe, and the Green

i have 5 wires. no white wire
2x yellow
1x green
1xblue white
1xblack red

Should i redo the test on 20v setting or will it be the same? I did switch to all different setting when i did the original test

Yeah don't worry about redoing it.

You can test your lighting/charge coil on the stator to check if it is within spec.
Set your multimeter to 2000 ohms, on your meter it's at 5 o'clock above the diode symbol.
Unplug the 2x yellow wire's where they join to the main loom.
Put one lead from your meter to one yellow and put the other lead to the 2nd yellow wire
What reading do you get ?

Yeah don't worry about redoing it.

You can test your lighting/charge coil on the stator to check if it is within spec.
Set your multimeter to 2000 ohms, on your meter it's at 5 o'clock above the diode symbol.
Unplug the 2x yellow wire's where they join to the main loom.
Put one lead from your meter to one yellow and put the other lead to the 2nd yellow wire
What reading do you get ?

just tried it then but when i disconnect the plug the motor stalls.

Nah, don't start the bike.
Just test it with it turned off.

How old is your Motobatt battery ?
Do you have the receipt for it still ?

Okay i put it on 2000. On the display it says 1. After i put the red and black probes on the yellow wires from the stator is read 001 on the display.

Try touching the 2x lead's from your multimeter together, what reading do you get?

Sound's like you haven't got a good contact on the brass terminals on the end of the wires from the stator loom ?

Try touching the 2x lead's from your multimeter together, what reading do you get?

Sound's like you haven't got a good contact on the brass terminals on the end of the wires from the stator loom ?

It reads 000 when i touch the leads together

Try the meter on 20K ohms then, the setting to the left of the 2000 Ohm you are on now, and test the 2x yellow wire's from the stator

And try one lead from your meter to one yellow, and the other lead from your meter to earth on the frame or battery

Last edited:
Try the meter on 20K ohms then, the setting to the left of the 2000 Ohm you are on now, and test the 2x yellow wire's from the stator

And try one lead from your meter to one yellow, and the other lead from your meter to earth on the frame or battery

Reads 1. when not connected, when testing both yellows it reads 1.00 and when i tried it on the frame it still read 1. I will have to wait untill saturday to take of the plastics and seat to get access to the battery because im riding to work tomorrow

Sound's like the lighting coil on your stator has a broken wire somewhere if you aren't getting a reading.
But that doesn't explain how the volt's rise when the engine is running?

You are testing the yellow wires that come from your stator, not the one's coming from your main loom?

I think this is the stator that the Motovert RXs' come with,
but they have 2x yellow wire's instead of 1 yellow, 1 white.

$_57.JPG

Sound's like the lighting coil on your stator has a broken wire somewhere if you aren't getting a reading.
But that doesn't explain how the volt's rise when the engine is running?

You are testing the yellow wires that come from your stator, not the one's coming from your main loom?

I think this is the stator that the Motovert RXs' come with,
but they have 2x yellow wire's instead of 1 yellow, 1 white.

$_57.JPG

That stator looks the same, ill get a pic of it on saturday. Defiantly testing the stator wires not the loom.

The volts defiantly do rise when i rev the motor up. And after the motor is off the volts slowly start droping eg 14.37 5 seconds later 14.36 5 seconds later 14.35

And after the motor is off the volts slowly start droping eg 14.37 5 seconds later 14.36 5 seconds later 14.35
That's normal, it should sit at around 12.9 if left for a day or so without starting it

I did try it before i started it today. Last time it was running was sunday. It was on high 13Volts i think before i started it.

Don't know where you heard that from Craig?

Never heard or seen anyone ever have a problem with one. I have personally had 3 now and no issues.

They use matt technology so there is no way for them to leak as there is no liquid inside? They are a completely sealed unit. Unless you broke the outer housing that is the only way possible they can leak.

I see it every day on 3 of the motorcycle facebook pages i'm on, especially since late last year.
People fit them for the specific reason of them not leaking as they are using them in rare, vintage bike's etc.
Then a month or so later and they find out that it's leaked over their mint original frame, rare new old stock chrome, plastic's that they have spent 10 years chasing etc etc

Latest posts

Back