KLX 110 won't start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cann0nf0der

Reaction score
hI

I have a KLX110 05 that usually starts first or second kick. Went riding with the young fella today and all went well for about an hour then he stopped and turned off the bike using the kill switch and now the bike won't restart??

Have checked all the vitals and think it may be a dodgy neutral switch or kill switch. Anyone got any experience with these bikes?

Kind Regards
Gav

my first bet would be to pull the plug out and put it back in the lead,earth it out on the engine and get someone to kick it over to see if youve got spark,if no spark try a new plug or disconnect your killswitch and get a length of electrical wire and bridge the killswitch.check if any of these work and we'll go from there.

cheers,
rhys.

I'd say the neutral switch , they tend to play up from time to time .. best thing to do is just cut and ground the wires from it .

Or you could buy one already done

sano_bstartthumb.jpg

Well have checked all the electricals and looks like the coil has 0 resistance both primary and secondary (checked with two meters). Anyone know if these things just break like that? When it stops it stops I guess....

Last edited:
Well changed the coil and the plug and basically I get a spark about every fifth or sixth kick of the starter and it is just a short spark. I have checked the neutral switch and it has 0 resistance which is as per manual. So I guess it's magneto next? or any other suggestions?

One thing I haven't totally eliminated is wiring around the starter switch, do I just ground both terminals out of the plug?

Kind Regards
Gav

Ok bridged the starter switch and still no go. Also tested the switch with a battery and a bulb and the switch works fine.

could try swapping a known good cdi, failing that stator plate is next.. well providing you have done all the other necessary checks

I think it may be the stator (but then again I thought it was the coil!) as when I use my volt meter grounded and positive to the blue wire from the stator I don't get any voltage or if I do it's less than half a volt, should be around 4.5v according to the manual. Found genuine brand new on Fleabay for $60 so will give that a try.

Well replaced the stator and still no spark. Anyone in Sydney that has a working one that I could borrow to test?

Kind Regards
Gavin

All fixed, earthed out the neutral sensor and presto! Lesson learned as the sensor checked out per the book for resistance etc.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Kind Regards
Gav

Glad to hear she's all fixed, I had a electrical nightmare with my bike as well, and it's one of the most difficult problems to exactly locate and fix, SO a great feeling when she finally works again!!!!

Carlton

Yer congrats , i dont no much about electrics , but i have had that problem before and always here about it happening .

Grounding it is the easiest way , plus now you can bump start it in gear if ya got a clutch ;).

You can bump start TTR's DRZ's and KLX's if you don't have a clutch, you just put them in second as the little neutral sensor only has a sensor node for first gear not second and third. I have had to do it a few times with my mates TTR and DRZ. Just got to get some weight over the back wheel when you push.

Anyways I will know for next time, throw away the manual and isolate first lol

pin?!

hI

I have a KLX110 05 that usually starts first or second kick. Went riding with the young fella today and all went well for about an hour then he stopped and turned off the bike using the kill switch and now the bike won't restart??

Have checked all the vitals and think it may be a dodgy neutral switch or kill switch. Anyone got any experience with these bikes?

Kind Regards
Gav

resurrecting this long-dead string!

we have an old KLX110 and had the exact same symptoms last night. this thing is typically a workhorse. when I attempt to bump start her she tries to run as long as I am moving. I jumped the kill switch and the bike still didn't start so I am on to the neutral switch. when I looked into the male (bike side) side of the harness there was only one pin - on the light wire green side! the female (switch side) side has two holes - for two pins... no?!

would I be able to close the circuit on the bike side to test this?

thanks!!

Latest posts

Back