KTM 4 stroke 250? Should I?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko R1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a 2009 KTM 250 SX-F off a friend hence I am looking for opinions...seems like a good purchase with less than 10hrs on it. I did own a YZ250 (2 stroke) back in the day which was a lot of fun & plenty of power. I also used to race 250 production class (circuit, 2 stroke) & have had many 1000cc road bikes - I like power.

I hear good things about the KTM, I'm just not sure if I'll be satisfied with a 250 4 stroke - I then also hear that the 4 strokes carry more low/mid range torque...in terms of how I plan to ride the bike, its really for bush/trails & possibly taking it to the track if I get into it.

Will this 4 stroke bike keep up with a 250 2 stroke? If the answer is yes, I am sold!!!

Thanks in advance.

I think it was fixed by 2009 but i know that alot of 2007-2008 450's cams developed flat spots due to the metal being to soft.

weather it will keep up with a 250 2t comes down more to the riders ability.
But generaly 125 2t = 250 4t

If your going to mainly trailride probaly better off on a enduro bike over a MX bike.

I think it was fixed by 2009 but i know that alot of 2007-2008 450's cams developed flat spots due to the metal being to soft.

weather it will keep up with a 250 2t comes down more to the riders ability.
But generaly 125 2t = 250 4t

If your going to mainly trailride probaly better off on a enduro bike over a MX bike.

thanks for the feedback - if you were to plot a 250 2 stroke with a 250 4 stroke on a dyno graph, would the 4 stroke carry more power in low/mid rpm & the 2 stroke would have a higher peak power?

with the peak power, what is the difference between the engines...is it only a couple of hp or is there more in it?

hqdefault.jpg

The SX may be tempting because there cheaper than the EXCF...But not great in bush ..

RIDDEN BOTH /OWNED AN EXCF 250

SX snappier power
lighter weight
harsher suspension
close ratio gear box
smaller tank
NON compliant if you ride high country full rego ( if you want to do the right thing ..

EXC opposite to above with electric and kick start .. easier on the wet rocks and slop

The 2012 KTM 250SXF make's 34.48 hp @ 10,800

At 5000 rpm it make's 12.5hp,
6000rpm 17.74hp
7000rpm 24hp
8000 rpm 29hp,
9000rpm 32hp
10,000rpm 33.9hp
10,800 35.48hp peak

2012 KTM 250SX 2 stroke 49.7 hp @ 8300 rpm

5000 21.61 hp
6000 30.86 hp
7000 40 hp
8000 49.6 hp (peak)
9000 43.87 hp
10,000 19.24 hp
10,100 0 hp

Last edited:
The 2012 KTM 250SXF make's 34.48 hp
At 5000 rpm it make's 12.5hp,
6000rpm 17.74hp
7000rpm 24hp
8000 rpm 29hp,
9000rpm 32hp
10,000rpm 33.9hp
10,800 35.48hp peak

Do u have similar numbers for SX 2t?

That graph makes it quite simply.

Buy a CRF450R!!!! :banana:

that is what i am now thinking - 450 :)
any preference with makes, i.e. suzi, kwaka, honda, yami, husy?

Ride as many as you can or pick which color you like the most.

DOnt discount the DRZ 400 either, not fantastic at anything but a decent allround trail bike

that is what i am now thinking - 450 :)
any preference with makes, i.e. suzi, kwaka, honda, yami, husy?

If you are after Quick handling, go the suzuki rmz450!! Just sold mine and it handled like my sxf250, felt lite for a 450 and nimble, torque is insane!! They don't sound like they are revving much but look behind you and the ruts you leave are a foot deep!! :)

What i have found with 2stroke compared to 4stroke if you can ride well enough to keep the 2stroke in band you will eat the competition on the same size bike. But if you are constantly trying to get back into band cos you cant keep it there than the 4stroke will be all over you with their low/midrange power.
The 450 enduro has alot more usable power compared to the race version for the bush. You have to be an exceptional rider to use the race version of a 450 properly in the bush due to the gearing.
I have found an average rider will be faster on a 250 than they will on a 450 since the power is more useable and they dont get scared as easy (just in general not pointed at you) and can use more of the power also mostly comparing the race versions there. A good rider will obviously be able to use more from the 450 though than a 250 will have.
Alot comes down to your ability to what is best for you.
I am really liking my ktm 200exc for the bush its extremely light and goes where you point it my only issue is no where to grip with my knees and the seat is worn and doesnt have any grip atm.

All the 450 4strokes for enduro i have seen were very user friendly if you can deal with the bit of extra weight im only small and it makes it alot harder for me to throw around

What i have found with 2stroke compared to 4stroke if you can ride well enough to keep the 2stroke in band you will eat the competition on the same size bike. But if you are constantly trying to get back into band cos you cant keep it there than the 4stroke will be all over you with their low/midrange power.

your 200 will require more input and the need to keep it on the pipe more so the 250cc+ 2t's, its a small engine. Brilliant bikes though, i was looking for one but couldnt find a decent late model so i went with a 250

Due to my gearing i can lug around at really low engine speeds on my 250exc and unless im taking off or have slowed right down for somthing i have no use for first gear. Once i change my pipe and get the head modded it will be even better, may even make it a 300 yet and get some more torque again.

there is a common misconception that 2 strokes rev higher than 4 strokes. this isnt the case. The other misconception in that they have no torque. This is also not the case. Almost any bike can be good in the bush, it's how you set it up. Depending what sort of riding youre doing a 450 may not be the best thing for you. For example if youre riding snotty single trails you need to be careful with big bore bikes as they like to overheat. but in open trails the 250s run out of legs. Its all up to what type of riding youre doing.

I ride a yz250 exclusively in the bush and endurocross. It is a 2 stroke so still has the characteristic powerband but it is smooth unlike all other japanese 2 strokes. As mentioned earlier, it's how its set up.

I would recommend a 350cc 4 stroke. The best of both worlds.

thanks for your input guys - if all goes well, i'll be picking up the ktm 250 sxf tomorrow :)

thanks for your input guys - if all goes well, i'll be picking up the ktm 250 sxf tomorrow :)

Dude if you haven't already brought it STOP right now!!

My mate has one, 2 hours on the clock, get's a letter from KTM stating there is a factory recall on all 250 SXF's. Had to sign a waiver and couldn't ride the bike again until it was taken into KTM and repaired ( which was a small fix of dismantling your ENTIRE MOTOR and redo the crank!!!). They have been blowing up like crazy.

So now he is stuck with a bike that after 2 hours has had the entire engine ripped apart. Will always have in the back of your head was it done right.

All stock would have had this done prior to you buying not but your basically buying a rebuilt 2nd hand newy.

Look at other brands is my advice.

thanks for pointing this out - appreciate it.
i did some digging and only seems to apply to the current 2016 model, per below link:
Major Engine Issue Prompts KTM 250 SXF Recall - Motorcycle Life

the year model i am looking at is 2010 spec :)

Dude if you haven't already brought it STOP right now!!

My mate has one, 2 hours on the clock, get's a letter from KTM stating there is a factory recall on all 250 SXF's. Had to sign a waiver and couldn't ride the bike again until it was taken into KTM and repaired ( which was a small fix of dismantling your ENTIRE MOTOR and redo the crank!!!). They have been blowing up like crazy.

So now he is stuck with a bike that after 2 hours has had the entire engine ripped apart. Will always have in the back of your head was it done right.

All stock would have had this done prior to you buying not but your basically buying a rebuilt 2nd hand newy.

Look at other brands is my advice.

Latest posts

Back