KX85 or CR85

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Moto

Reaction score
Hi I am looking to buy a new bike for racing.

Im not sure whether to get a 2005 model CR85 or a 2005 model KX85.

What would be a better bike to buy?

Also would they still be classified as a mini, like can i still post it on

miniriders?

Thanks heepz

mini moto

actually the choices are out of CR85, YZ85, KX85 or RM85.
so Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki is my question??

thanks in advance

The cr85 and the yz85 have the more powerfull motors , the kx85 is a slug and looks way out of date with the plastics that are on it. Pipe's on the wrong side too. The kx85 is the best for the beginer as its the smallest and has the most linear powercurve. Suspension wise the cr85 is the most agressively set out of the factory but the yz has the best overall action. Depending on what your racing as te cr would be a better SX package due to its stiffer suspension and the yz good for MX. The rm85 insnt a bad ride either and its the halfway point between the kx and the yz/cr. The CR however will become harder to get parts for as production was ceased last year. The yz and the rm though have the single sided shrouds which is a little ugly but you'll get over it.
They are a mini bike still so you have come to the right place. I used to ride a yz80 2001 mod with a 84.8cc conversion and race built motor with shaved and balanced crannk , high comp piston , v force reed block and it used to rip your arms off , Heaps harder to ride than my current 250 and about twice as hard to ride as my 250f. But never the less a scream to ride.
From experience the yz handles like a bmx bike , you could chuck it anywhere and tackle anything. Super easy to wheelie and jump. Whipped good too.
If you where serious about racing though I would check out the Ktm 85 SX or the TM 85. Personally I would get a large wheel as 85's are a preety small bike and you want that height advantage and will get a few seasons out of it.

thanks unit_mx

ive been looking at the ktm 85 but they are going too expensive, and i would really like to stay with either yamaha or honda but my mate has a kx and said it was pretty good.

What do you mean by single sided shrouds?

and i am gettin big wheel

thanks

mini moto

Last edited:
Single sided shrouds refer to there only being a tank shroud or fender on one side of the tank , the other side has the tank exposed.
I wouldn't get the kx85 , get the Cr or yz. It's a better packge out of the box. Depends how well looked after each bike is?

Ohhhh yes i see

why would they make them single sided??

is it because of the radiator?

Also are they water-cooled?

would a 125 be better like a yz125 or cr125 etc

that single sided shroud looks so stupid haha

how much you weigh ??

if you are not a kid you need a 125 at least or you will pull the rings outta it .

im bout 65-70kg

im still a kid tho

so would a CR85 be ok coz dats would i think im gettin?

thanks for your replies

yeh ive decided to go for Honda

I will be getting it in bout 3-4 months tho

Thanks heaps

mini moto

i dunno i havnt really weighed my self or measured how tall i am but id say roughly 5ft 6 and prob bout 62kg or sumthen

Are KTM 85SX Big Wheel any good?

Are they better than CR coz i found one real cheap one.

..both the CR85 and 85SX are 2004 Model..

well buddy you can get the ktm85 cheap but ktm are alot more expensive in parts so i would try to stay japanese. its your choice but i use to have a 2006 cr85 till bout 3-4 months ago it was awesome bike never had any trounles with it. the motor doesnt have much bottom end but when you get it going boy does it go so you have to be on the gas alot. anyways thats my input but its your choice.

well buddy you can get the ktm85 cheap but ktm are alot more expensive in parts so i would try to stay japanese. its your choice but i use to have a 2006 cr85 till bout 3-4 months ago it was awesome bike never had any trounles with it. the motor doesnt have much bottom end but when you get it going boy does it go so you have to be on the gas alot. anyways thats my input but its your choice.

However , Ktm may be more expensive parts wise but they brake less. Ktm use better parts out of the factory eg Excel rims , Acerbis plastics , Brembo levers and brakes , WP suspension. If you have the dough the ktm is the best option. Won the ADB 85cc shootout and stands up preety well to the crf150r. If your going to race it , then the ktm is the best bet. Preety much all riders lining up at the gate are on these orange bikes

if i had to choose, i would choose a TM, if you look on ebay, you go onto cars bikes and boats and choose trail bikes, you see all these names up the top saying "honda,yamaha ectect. but you nee to search to get the tm's to they get quite cheap

Yes I agree orion , the Tm's go for really cheap because no one know about them.
There are great bike , ohlins suspension , anondised excel rims , HGS pips and Renthal bars standard. I've seen a TM 85MX largewheel go for $1800 and it was an 05! with 1 bid. Can't even buy the forks for that price! ANd they have hydraulic clutches , brembo units!
But make sure your close to a dealer before buying one as spares are rare

Latest posts

Back