Leaky tappet cover?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Is it ok to ride my bike with a leaky tappet cover? I thought I shouldn't but when I was lookin on eBay for replacement ones most of them had breathers anyway..So dose it matter if it's not 100% air tight on there ?

Depends how much it's loosing.

Wouldn't want to risk cooking the motor if your oil get's real low or runs out.

Just replace the seal. It's easy and cheap.

loss of oil and contaimants in the oil..
Cut another gasket.. out of some gasket paper

Do you have an old cereal box? Use that as gasket paper, and dab a bit of hi temp silicon around it.

It's not the gasket that causes the leak. It's that i cant bolt both sides down

Have you stripped a thread? a Helicoil should sort you out, shoudl cost less that $20 too.

yeah a Helicoil kit should get you out of trouble for about $25-$28.
you could get a mechanic to to it if you need, they normally keep them in stock.
i'm guessing they'd charge about $20 for the repair.

or as a temporary fix, you could clean up both mounting faces and run a bead of Sikaflex urethane around the seal recess in the rocker cover.
sit it onto the head and loosely fit one bolt, and leave it for 8 hour's minimum before you use it, nip up the bolt once it's cured.
when you need to take it off, take the bolt out and cut the urethane with some fishing line, and clean the parts up with a razor blade.

you might want to try editing it and reloading it, nothing shows up for me?

Yea my phones really hard to work with cuz its all busted up, il get that pic up though haha

It's a pretty deec size hole now and busted through the engine cast that's where the metal shavings came from In my other thread lol would smashing a 6mm hex locknut in there be similar to a helicoil ?

no, not a good idea
it could fracture the alloy head, then you'd need to replace it

It's had quit a bashing all ready :/ not trying to put a lockut in there ..but where it's busted through the engine cast its had a bolt bashed in ther. The covers on there pretty good now but still not perfect so I suspect it will leak a bit but it's better than before, I already rekin it needs peplacing.. To broke to buy a new one lol but Iv decided to save and get a gpx125 for it, was my first bike and I've learnt a lot, this tappet cover haas come bac to haunt me from when I first got it and broke the bolt. ATM it has a cover n there and im sure it's not 100% but I don't really wanna mess wit it or try make it better because Ijust broke the old one wich replaced the previous 2 that got broken and it's the last spare I had, Will it start ifi fractured the head? And dosnt alloy bend rather than fracture/shatter/crack?

It's had quit a bashing all ready :/ not trying to put a lockut in there ..but where it's busted through the engine cast its had a bolt bashed in ther. The covers on there pretty good now but still not perfect so I suspect it will leak a bit but it's better than before, I already rekin it needs peplacing.. To broke to buy a new one lol but Iv decided to save and get a gpx125 for it, was my first bike and I've learnt a lot, this tappet cover haas come bac to haunt me from when I first got it and broke the bolt. ATM it has a cover n there and im sure it's not 100% but I don't really wanna mess wit it or try make it better because Ijust broke the old one wich replaced the previous 2 that got broken and it's the last spare I had, Will it start ifi fractured the head? And dosnt alloy bend rather than fracture/shatter/crack?
It wont work, even if you get the nut smashed in there it will just be a dent and then the nut will fall out..

Im not even sure where your talking about or whats cracked too..

You will not regret getting a gpx 125 wicked motor for the money, and 125's seem to go forever

All good its been sorted :) not the best fix.. BUt still gose hard and don't leak any more,( did get a little bit of grinding from the shavings if enine that r in there) but nothin im woried about its done a few trips up the moutain track so I rekin the countershaft berings survived :) yes they surly do.. Seems like nothing can stop myn from goin haha it was my first bike/ engine so I made a lot of noob mistakes but she still gose harder than ever :)

Latest posts

Back