Lifan 140 Cam Chain Questions.c

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turborob

Reaction score
G'day all.

Quick intro as I'm new here. Been riding for years though mainly road bikes and a few off roaders here and there of varying capasities.

Among other bikes, I currently I have a standard Honda CT110 as well as a CT110 with the Lifan 140cc engine fitted.

The Lifan had a top end tapping noise so I just adjusted the valves without a hitch (though is the retaining nut supposed to be able to be loosened off the adjuster? Mine couldn't be and I just had to crank on more nm's to close the gap).

Once tightened the valve clatter was reduced though I can still hear intermittant clatter - me thinks it is the cam-chain. Louder from the LHS.

To adjust the cam chain is it the same as a CT110? Whilst running - loosen the bolt on the head on the LHS - then retighten?

Basic Q I know - and I should know better having been round forums for years; but I can't find a similar post/question. Hope to be able to share a little knowledge around here.

Cheers,

Rob.

doesn't the spring keep the cam chain tight?

theres no adjustment on a chinga motor, its semi-hydraulic and uses a light spring to adjust tension.

Yes the retaining nut is supposed to be loosened (backed off) on the adjuster screw before it's adjusted ... then re-tightened afterwards ...

Yep they've got automatic tensioners ... but maybe your cam chain has stretched and is "whipping" ... or there's something wrong with the auto tensioner ? ...

A gorilla must have done my valves last time - I simply couldn't loosen the retainer.

As it was stuck - it actually worked quite well - just tighten it more to close the gap.

Re: cam chain - It does sound like there's something wrong - there's an intermittant 'tap' which sounds a little like chain slap. It almost sounds like there's a loose washer or small metal object doing the rounds in the engine.

Oh well - ran fine today in 43 degree heat for 40k. Might just be one of those rattles I'll learn to live with.

Latest posts

Back